Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miyamoto wants games to break free of TVs for "bigger"/more immersive display.

1. Miyamoto wants games to break free of TVs for "bigger"/more immersive display.

http://ds.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145211

Mainly your usual Miyamoto gadget-centric musings but at least interesting.

Nintendo only recently pulled the wraps off their Revolution controller at Tokyo Game Show, yet we're already seeing hints laid for Nintendo's future - provided Revolution proves a success once it's released, of course.
    In a Business Week interview, designer Shigeru Miyamoto speculated on the future of videogames. "It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV, he says. "I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that."

Miyamoto's famous for closely guarding his secrets, so it's of no surprise he's holding back from elaborating too much on his future ambitions for videogames. When Super Mario Sunshine was originally unveiled, Miyamto refused to show off the water gun - a crucial element of the platform's gameplay - fearing others would rip him off.

Nonetheless, Miyamoto also has an uncanny ability of nonchalantly dropping hints about the future that come true in one form or another down the line. Chances are we'll be looking back at this quote from four or five years from now and shouting "of course!"

Let me be the first.

Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. We can only hope that he's not thinking of something similar. A display that fills my living room in theory would be cool, but not if i need a faceplate to do it. I'm thinking crazy nutzo console-projector.

4. The virtual boy smells funny after you use it for a while. I've never encountered one that didn't have a very distinctive "used" smell. Don't want anything on my face.
    Donk

5. Greasy ol' VB, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. The VBs from the rental places always smelled like cigarettes. yeccchh

7. Yeah... The right screen's finally blinking out after 10 years, too. I like things that don't break.

10 years. That makes me feel old.

Anyway, Nintendo does like to recycle crazy ideas that didn't work the first time and it's not the second time for some kind of visor to show up. http://assembler.roarvgm.com/Famicom...d_goggles.html
    Donk

8. I was just out at a video arcade, (and restaurant, and sports bar, and bowling alley), I think it was called "Dave and Buster's" anyone ever hear of it? Anywho, one of the games is a headset that can be turned and tilted anywhere but down. It wasn't virtual reality, and you don't have to walk around, but you can turn around to look behind you. In the game you have to shoot plains and battle ships down, anyone ever play this game? You can zoom in and out to aim at distant targets, however it didn't appear as if I were moving.

I think it would be so kickass if you could move a character with your hands, and move the characters perspective with your head. It would really make me feel as if I were in the game. I'm not speculating that that's what Nintendo has in store for us, but I'm still excited to see what they are going to present.
    Last edited by SMBChick; 01 Nov 2005 at 02:18 AM.

Yes, D&B. Yes, that game. That particular game is terrible though. But if you had a different game it might work..you can't really look fast enough though.

Almost every experience I've had with "VR" has been more confusing and... simply too shitty to be worth it.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Games should have bigger displays!

Please buy our handheld products!