Page 1 of 30 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Robobo - Now with more designs!

1. Robobo - Now with more designs!

I've started a web comic featuring Robobo. A year ago (or so) I posted four comics based on Robobo and people really liked them here on TNL (even Mzo). I put it on hold last year because it was my final year in college and I wanted to develop a great portfolio. This summer I slowly began working away on it and I'm having a lot of fun. Here's a sample of the old comic I made in college for my new media course (I've already posted this):

The old site I made for school is here.

I've been working on the site since September, very slowly developing up the images and history in my spare time, or whenever I'm not designing stuff for my new job and now it's done. Jonas programmed the archive and database, and sometimes even writes a comic as well. It opened Halloween night, or the morning after (like 1'ish) and so far the feedback has been great. I think I've found a great cast of characters and I'm having a blast drawing it all. All in all I feel a lot less fettered with this project.

www.robobo.com

Anyway, I figured I'd throw the comic to the wolves, since you guys are usually brutally honest. I want to incorporate a lot of rollovers and web-only functions to jazz up the comic. I used a rollover for the Halloween comic.

I hand draw each comic and update twice a week (Tuesday and Saturday). I've even set aside time to do this so that I don't miss a beat along the way. I'm a huge fan of painterly qualities in art so a lot of my inspiration for the new style came from that. I know it's trendy right now to ask for donations and sell t-shirts with a webcomic but I really don't want any of that. I just do it for fun and hope people will enjoy it without having merch and a guilt trip pushed in their faces.

Check it out.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 Nov 2005 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

LOL @ your 2nd failed attempt at comedy
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

3. 1 - failure
    2 - the idea was sound, but the dialogue all blew
    3 - the lead-up sucked, making the punchline worthless
    4 - failure

p.s. That man is on the right side of the picture, not the left.

p.p.s. Who is that woman?

4. I love how you two offer no constructive criticism at all. Seriously, out with the suggestions then scallywags!
    Last edited by jonas; 02 Nov 2005 at 01:40 PM.

5. YOU SUCK.

I really don't like translucent/transparent speech balloons in anything, they killed me in the otherwise excellent Street Fighter comics =(

There's nothing specifically wrong with the dialogue... it's like your posts; I know exactly the type of humor you're going for but it's not ringing funny to me. Lots of different people have different tastes, shit, I'm sure someone out there even likes Comet 7.

I remember I liked the character Robobo because he looked good and had a stylish yellow cape.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    I really don't like translucent/transparent speech balloons in anything, they killed me in the otherwise excellent Street Fighter comics =(
    Maybe I'll try keeping them opaque white in the next. It's not like it serves much of a purpose to make them slightly see-through0.

There's nothing specifically wrong with the dialogue... it's like your posts; I know exactly the type of humor you're going for but it's not ringing funny to me. Lots of different people have different tastes, shit, I'm sure someone out there even likes Comet 7.
    I like Comet 7 I'm thinking that maybe TNL isn't the best audience for a comic like this, but I'm still going to trek on. I love these characters and have a blast drawing this comic up.

What does everyone think about the use of the rollover for the Halloween comic and the artwork in general?
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. I think the humor I tend to lean toward is the situational humor found in say Monty Python. Although I am a huge fan of the Simpsons and obviously that will show through. The fact Robobo confuses 3 little children dressed as witches as real witches is funny to me. Then add on the fact he is then seen chasing after a kid in a pirate suit.

Overall though, I do this comic because I find it amusing and fun. I already have shown many people who do like it and I know that some people will not. So it's cool to me.
    To each their own. We can't please everyone.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jonas
    Overall though, I do this comic because I find it amusing and fun. I already have shown many people who do like it and I know that some people will not. So it's cool to me.

To each their own. We can't please everyone.
    I don't think like this. I want to try and make something a lot of people enjoy, and if they can help us find some problem area's we don't even realize need fixing then more power to them. They're brutally honest and I appreciate that -- even if they're not our audience. Maybe if we fix some of the stuff we may be able to tailor some comics to them too.

It's all about getting better. A lot of people have given positive feedback, so obviously they love it, but lets try to get better still. I see no reason not to. Mzo provided some great criticism and observation for us and Mech Deus is a good writer, so his feedback about the writing holds some value to me.

10. so far the feedback has been great
    I don't know why I'm so hesitant to make my own webcomic. Evidence such as the above really points to there being no way I could possibly lose.