Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9111213

Thread: Gradius Portable. (PSP)

1. Quote Originally Posted by New Age of Aces
    I Just picked this up last night and I am amazed at how well these games are emulated, especially Gaiden. I can't see any difference between the psp version or the playstation version. Good job Konami, now lets see a Parodious collection. The psp d-pad is raping my thumb though.

I especially want a Twinbee PSP collection (would be ace with widescreen TATE) and of course a Salamander pack (still haven't gotten around to snagging the Saturn rev). Sadly, Konami seems to no longer care at all about Twinbee, Salamander or Parodius. Twinbee celebrated its 20th anniversary last year IIRC and zero fanfare from Konami.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 12 Jun 2006 at 09:29 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    I especially want a Twinbee PSP collection (would be ace with widescreen TATE) and of course a Salamander pack (still haven't gotten around to snagging the Saturn rev). Sadly, Konami seems to no longer care at all about Twinbee, Salamander or Parodius. Twinbee celebrated its 20th anniversary last year IIRC and zero fanfare from Konami.
    *Agrees*

Konami is showing no love for they're older shooters at all and I'm shocked that Gradius gets so much love from them. I am still waiting for Axelay 2, Imagine that in widescreen on psp.

3. ^^^

I dunno, maybe some misguided exec of theirs thinks Gradius is the only shooter property they have which is still worth focusing attention on? Salamander 1 and 2 should have been included on Gradius collection. As for Twinbee, the series was popular enough in Japan to even have a TV show, manga, radio shows and CDs made for kids. So you'd think it'd get more modern love of some kind beyond Pastel's appearance in Konami Wai Wai Racing....

4. Salamander was left off for a reason - vertical shooters on PSP are vile. You either have to hold the system sideways which is incredibly awkward, or they get microscopic to fit the aspect ratio.
    -Kyo

5. ^^^

nah, I play vertical shmups on my PSP all the time with Capcom Classics Remixed. Sure it feels weird at first holding the system that way. But I just set D pad to move and set "down" (left) on the analog to fire and "up" (right) to bomb/loop and this works very well in my experience.

6. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    Salamander was left off for a reason - vertical shooters on PSP are vile. You either have to hold the system sideways which is incredibly awkward, or they get microscopic to fit the aspect ratio.
    Except Salamander doesn't use a vertical aspect ratio. Even during the vertical segments, the screen is still wider than it is tall (after all, the screen itself doesn't rotate between each level).

7. Got this today, it's pretty damn impressive. I'm amazed at the effort, really, as it doesn't just feel like some emulators on a UMD. Nice.