Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Cell Phone Should I Get?

1. What Cell Phone Should I Get?

Finally I have decided to give in and buy a cell phone. I find myself always lost among my friends since I never have no idea what is going on and I also find myself needing it constantly. Now, I know I stated a long time ago that if I were to get a cell phone, I'd get a simple one that could just take pictures. However, looking at all these slick cell phones with some nice features, I thought I'd look into some of these. I narrowed down my choices to:

Motorola RAZR V3 - $69.99 after mail in rebate I like how it looks. Slick, stylish, small, and it has all the standard features of a cell phone.
    Motorola ROKR E1 - $199.99 after mail in rebate (has iTunes) I don't currently have a CD player nor an MP3 player, so I thought this would be convenient. However, that price doesn't like too good.
    Samsung SCH-a950 - $149.99 after mail in rebate (has VCAST) Many times I've been out and I've missed a sporting game and I always want to see highlights or just check the score. This would be very useful, but I don't know it's worth buying right now. Will the technology get better or is it better to buy now?

These are the main 3 cell phones I've been looking to buy. I thought I'd make a post and you guys could give your own recommendations on these cell phones if maybe you've had them or tried them. Also, if you want to suggest another cell phone, go right ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I'm going to be taxed, I'd rather it be to build a Death Star than to feed lazy Wookiees.

2. Don't go for Samsung. I don't like their operating system. I use a Sony Walkman phone now, and this is my first mp3 player. It has 512mb memory, and that suits me fine for just going to school and going out, so I'm not even considering buying an ipod or anything though I can see where they're superior.
    Get the mp3 phone if it has good (and better yet expandable) memory, and the price tag is ok with you.

3. I've heard the razor isn't all what it's cracked up to be as for as durability. A centennial wireless dealer told me they've been having frequent problems. He recommended the nokia 6170 http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6170. I purchased with a two year contract and picked it up for $89.00. so far I've had it 3 months and no complaints at all. I've recorded videos with it and took pictures with it also. It features night mode for taking pictures in darker areas and they seem to come out really good. I'm impressed with the speaker phone use as far as the clarity whenever I don't feel like holding it or I'm typing on the computer. This also features a stainless steel casing for durability, and two display screens a large and small. Check out the link and good luck!

4. Sony Ericsson S710A. The Razr is fragile (all of my friends have broken theirs at least once), and doesn't get very good reception. The ROKR is slow, funky menu system, the iTunes player I hear isn't all that great and it doesn't have anything else that makes it stand out besides iTunes. Samsung sucks.

The S710A has a Memory Stick DUO port on it (can read up to 128mb), so you can put your own MP3s on it (and it comes with a memory stick reader to plug into your computer). It has a 1.3 Megapixel camera that can also record videos. It has bluetooth and IR. 3D games, awesome design, really good sound quality. Also, since you put MP3s directly on the memory stick yourself, you can create your own ringtones with Audacity (free program), that way you don't have to pay $2 for an MP3 ringtone that you can easily just make yourself.

Or, if you wanted, you could get the Sony Ericsson k750 which has a 2 MP camera, and a memory stick port that can handle up to 4GB. It runs about $250, so with the 4GB card it's like having your own iPod mini along with a really great phone.

5. If you go sony, get the Walkman. It kicks the K750i, and I'm sure they cost like $300, not a whole lot more. The camera is also really good, and the interface for the mp3 is perfect.

You might also want to wait a while. The new Nokia N-series is coming out, and they are going to be amazing. Prices on ebay are insane though, so budget-wise I'm not sure how that will be.

6. I fully agree with Interpol on this one. The S710a is a kick ass phone. I am very happy with mine.

7. Well working for a Verizon dealer, I would say the Sammy 950.

Vcast is a great idea, I personaly don't think it will be worth it until the live TV stuff comes onboard, but the clip selection is getting better finaly.

You can also put your own 3g2 movies onto a memory card and play them directly on the phone, along with mp3s, using transflash (microSD) memory. The little wheel in the front lets you scroll through your mp3s without even opening the phone.

Plus its EVDO so it could be used for wireless internet with speeds up to 512kbps the Cingular phones can't begin to match that.

If you must go cingular, look at the S710A or the Nokias. The Razr is too fragile and th e Rokr is just stupid.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

Right now im going back and forth between the Motorolla v551 and the nokia 6102.

Anyone have any opinions on either of those phones?

Wildkat, I JUST cancelled my insurance a few weeks ago and guess what, I lose my god damn phone. I believe I cancelled my insurance because they changed the coverage to not include lost phones, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I lost my god damn phone yesterday (Sammy SCH-a670, not that great) and I don't know what to do. Am I going to have to pay some insane price for a new phone without a new contract, or what? Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

10. Quote Originally Posted by NApOLm321
    Wildkat, I JUST cancelled my insurance a few weeks ago and guess what, I lose my god damn phone. I believe I cancelled my insurance because they changed the coverage to not include lost phones, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I lost my god damn phone yesterday (Sammy SCH-a670, not that great) and I don't know what to do. Am I going to have to pay some insane price for a new phone without a new contract, or what? Any ideas?
    Unfortunetly, yes..

try ebay though, just make sure its a Verizon branded handset, they havent been too willing to actiavte phones that arent in the database these days. You can get slightly used stuff for a good deal.

BTW, the insurance will cover a lost phone, but you need to file a police report for it. Its a royal pain in the ass most of the time becuase the police have better things to do.

There is one exception to everything though... If you have had it over a year, and your on a priceplan more than $60 you can do what they call an "Early Upgrade" in some areas, so you sign a new 2yr contract and you get the 2yr promo price on a new handset..
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin