Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 68910

Thread: 1up makes a comparison of the 360 launch, to that of the Dreamcast.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I'll grant you GTA3 and VC, because it is apparent how good of a job they did on LCS, but even then, you have to admit it would be significantly downgraded.
    I'm quite confident that a good developer could've gotten it to run just fine with people in the city. Combine what Team Ninja did with DOA2 (render only visible portions of what's onscreen) and run it interlaced instead of VGA and you immediately have an enourmous chunk of extra horsepower freed up and it'll be visually outputting the same display that the PS2 was.

In terms of disc size, you are aware that Liberty City Stories is only 1.04GB and GTAIII is about 1.5GB, right? They aren't DVD-filling games that puts the GD-ROM to shame or anything, and most of that is the sound as IIRC the game streams the music off the disc while the install of the actual game itself for PC is a mere 500MB. (As an aside, that search also alerted me to the existance of Grand Theft Anal.)
    And yes, I'm well aware that Ico runs in low res, but how that suddenly makes it less of an impressive technical achievement for either system I'm not sure.
    Go play Skygunner and you'll see. The PS2 would've taken an enourmous hit at "normal" (and by normal I mean less then what the DC output all except about three games at) 480i and Ico wasn't exactly a constant 60fps. If it wasn't running in low-res it would've been in permanant ~15fps or so.
    And you seriously think Shadow of the Colossus is Dreamcast material?
    It wasn't that, I just figured that you should've at least picked a game that a consistent framerate and even when when it did stay fairly steady could at least be something decent. SOTC has some amazing designs but the technical execution is one of the worst this generation. Sony's first-party teams really needed to be outsourced to one of the other systems this generation, they kept making games that got held back really bad by the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero in 1995
    My theory is this - as soon as the N64 comes out, anyone who bought a Playstation sans gaming nazis will conveniently forget they bought it.

The market is fickle, Nintendo's name is huge, and they will win out in the next console generation, as they did in this and the last.
    Mortal Kombat.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Mortal Kombat.
    You have just blown my mind.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

4. I'm not as willing to say Dreamcast hit it's peak in less than 2 years graphically. We've all heard it said a million times that a game has tapped out a console only to see even better down the road. If I had a dollar for every time a review proclaimed that a game had maxed out the Genesis hardware I'd be loaded.

Josh: Sega kinda schooled Nintendo in the 16 bit era all things considered, came out of nowhere to at the very least get on equal footing. Sony and MS aren't on equal footing, Sony still has 70 percent market share and a legion of idiots that will buy anything that says "Playstation" on it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Mortal Kombat.
    They are so many differences between then and now it's not even funny.

6. Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    They are so many differences between then and now it's not even funny.
    I'll tell you what's funny.

You taking his response seriously.

WEAPON LORD