Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need Graphics card advice

1. Yeah with 2 gig of system ram you should be alright. The 1 gig would never come into play until res'es over 1920x1200 but in your case it shouldn't actually hamper performance.

But seriously, 4870's start only $10 more than that card. You'd be dumb to not get one of those instead. The newer tech plus GDDR5 would be much better than the GTS and GDDR3.

Then again, going from Nvidia to Ati would mean you'd have to complately get rid of the Nvidia drivers with Detonator Destroyer and Driver Cleaner. It's not hard but most people don't want to do it. Suprisingly just going to add/delete still leaves trace amounts from each vendor in your registry.
    Last edited by Dyne; 24 Apr 2009 at 06:48 PM.

2. Dyne, I haven't received my card yet, but I might as well ask you this now so that I'm prepared when I'm ready to swap my cards.

The Driver Sweeper application has found a AGEIA - PhysX driver. Since I'm swapping from nVidia to Ati, I'll have to remove this since PhysX is a nVidia thing now, right?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

3. The way I understand it, Nvidia does CUDA/Physx in hardware and Ati does Havok in Hardware. They do the opposite in software. Less than 2% of games actually support Physx with Unreal Tournament being one game that greatly benefits from it. It won't hurt to uninstall it. I have it on my machine and it seems like any new game I install puts it on anyway.

4. I need a new computer

My 7900GT died and I replaced it with my old Radeon x800 card. I thought about upgrading to a new video card but this computer is just getting so old that it's not even worth it. The DVD drives usually need to be pulled open by force and I'm still running a Pentium 4 3ghz processor.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

5. Thanks Dyne for the graphic card and Driver Sweeper advice. I replaced my 7600 GT with the Radeon 4870 without a hitch.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

6. No problem.

The fan speed is retardedly low by default. You may want to google how to make fan speed profiles in CCC. It involves editing XML files but when you're done you can right click the taskbar icon and select whatever fan speed percentages you create.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    No problem.

The fan speed is retardedly low by default. You may want to google how to make fan speed profiles in CCC. It involves editing XML files but when you're done you can right click the taskbar icon and select whatever fan speed percentages you create.
    No need. The latest version of CCC allows you to manual set the fan speed.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios