Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Graphics card advice

1. Need Graphics card advice

I have a Shuttle XPC ST61G4, small form factor pc, and I want to upgrade the graphics card from the on board Radeon 9100 that comes with it. What is the best card I can buy that will fit in the case (single slot AGP 4x-8x)? I wanted to get a 6600 GT I saw on Newegg for $99, but most of those cards recommend a 300 watt power supply or greater, and the Shuttle only has a 250 watt power supply. So I assume I will be somewhat limited, unless there are newer cards that are more power efficient. Thanks.

2. Shuttle power supplies are some of the best and can handle anything you can fit in the case, they are considerably underrated compared to standard psu's so that won't be a problem. I'm not familiar with that chassis specifically, but most people say shuttles will fit any card as long as it's not a dual slot design. If you want to know specifically ask in the small form factor forum at http://www.hardforum.com/ I did a quick search and didn't find the answer, but that type of Q comes up often. I am 95% positive that you will not have a problem fitting a 6600gt in there.

3. Sweet, any other replies? Keep in mind I do have 2 hard drives and a Soundblaster Audigy, so I don't know if that takes up some of my leeway with the power supply. I don't want the thing cutting out on me and restarting.

4. stormy is right. that psu should be able to juice a 6600gt. actually making it physically fit will probably be the more difficult part.

5. Hey Guys,

I also have a graphics card question. I thought i'd put it here, rather thank make a new thread.

I took a nice openGL programing course a year back and was able to do all my program on the department machines and I never really had any problems do anything. But, since then, I'm not allowed to use the machines anymore, pretty much because I don't need to (I'm not in a graphics course right now). However, I want to keep working on my projects.

I currently have an nVidia GeForce 3. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good graphics card that can handle the nVidia vertex programming and fragment programming. I thought I heard that the first ones to do this were the GeForce 4s... but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm looking for the cheapest card I can get. As is seen by the GeForce 3 I have, I don't have a great deal of money to upgrade my system..

Thanks guys!
    http://www.ammosart.com/~iidx/images...OS-TNL-Sig.jpg
    Der Wille zur Macht
    Jenseits von Gut und Böse
    Also Sprach Zarathustra

6. That's a pretty specific technical question.
    You'd probably have more luck looking on nvidia's site than asking anyone here.

7. So 6600 GT is what I should go with under $99, or are there better options for slightly more $. Should I or do I have to go Radeon since my onboard graphics are Radeon as well, or does it not matter?

8. It doesn't matter what your onboard video is.
    I'd say go for the 6600GT.
    Anything faster will run too hot and suck too much power for a pc as small as yours.

9. just make sure when you put the card in you use a driver cleaner to get rid of any ati drivers and then make sure you disable onboard graphics in your bios.

10. Resurrection.

PC is currently running a GeForce 7600 GT that's a little more than two years old. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a GeForce 8800 GT. My old case was damaged during the move to Redmond, so it forced me to upgrade the case to an Antec Nine Hundred and a 650W power supply. Therefore, I should have enough power to properly run the new card, and my case is big enough to hold it. Still running XP, and I have no plans to upgrade to Vista, nor do I care about DirectX10.

Is this a good upgrade?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios