Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft sued, again

1. Microsoft sued, again

From Xbox360IGN

Network technology company Lucent has filed a lawsuit against Microsoft for using what it considers a patented video encoding technique in the Xbox 360. According to Lucent's filing, the Xbox 360's MPEG2 decoder, which is used for some of the console's video functions, infringes on a patent that Lucent has held since 1993.

This particular patent was the source of a previous conflict between the two companies as about a year ago a judge ruled in favor of Microsoft in an earlier case because of a typographical error that Lucent made in its original patent filing. However, in the ruling, the judge made it clear that Lucent could refile its claim at a later date. Lucent subsequently corrected the error and reinstated its claim against Microsoft.

Lucent is demanding that Microsoft withdraw the Xbox 360 from the market -- a demand that is highly unlikely to be met to say the least -- until a resolution of the case by either an out-of-court settlement or jury's verdict.
    So they're JUST now discovering this after the 360 has been on the market for several months now? Ha.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bahn
    So they're JUST now discovering this after the 360 has been on the market for several months now? Ha.
    They've known about it for a while, but the last claim they filed had a typo, so the judge dismissed it. At least that's what I understood from an article I read here:

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15907
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

3. I would think it takes at least that long to gather up enough evidence to merit a case... just saying.

4. lol, they can buy my xbox back from me at $600.

5. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I would think it takes at least that long to gather up enough evidence to merit a case... just saying.
    Good point. Damn, it seems like the Sony, MS and Nintendo are forever getting sued by someone out there.

6. When i visited my buddy who works for MS he told me the lawsuits against them in the papers and news are like less than 10% of the actual cases against them. everybody and their moms are constantly trying to make a buck from them. what we hear about is just the tip.

7. 360 needs more games. After Fight Night, and GRAW nothing excites me. Oblivion for PC all the way bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. There was actually a session at the GDC that covered this kind of topic:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...2562&Itemid=46

9. Out of court settlement, $25 million dollars, blah blah blah.
    -Kyo

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    360 needs more games. After Fight Night, and GRAW nothing excites me. Oblivion for PC all the way bitches.
    We have an official 360 thread for this, man. Strider, I'll go with... 30 million.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan