Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP loses to DS in November.

1. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    If you think that's bad, in the same period that the DS supposedly sold 600,000 units, the Xbox 360 looks to have sold 5,000 units.

And I saw that picture of Miyamoto and Iwata a little over a month ago. Hilarious ownage there.

2. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    Sony has been foolish with the PSP every step of the way. They grossly misjudged the market in their determination that console graphics were the biggest issue for handheld gamers (and ignored decades of history) and now they're seemingly going out of their way to botch the marketing of the PSP. These prices are too high and loosely marketing it as a multimedia entertainment system isn't cutting it, nor are those dumb squirrel commercials. They're not funny or in any other way appealing and they tell you absolutely nothing about the product.

They need to come out and say "Here's the PSP, it's the most advanced portable game system available, it's now only $200 with a memory card and GTA included". That's what it's going to take to compete with the DS at this point.
    Thanks for stating the obvious.

Again.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

3. You're welcome OMFGNinjas.

I saw a great animated gif once of a DS sneaking up on and eating a PSP, I wish I saved it

4. Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    This is true. I think EBgames struck a deal with Sony here in Denmark; They didn't have DS demo units in two stores I visited, and only reluctantly offered to show me a powerless unit (in its box) out in the back of the shop. -Naturally the PSP demo units were all over the store and counters.
    It gets even funnier. Blockbuster has stopped renting GBA and DS games to make room for 360 and PSP.
    PSN = knarlockk
    Steam= kevinb150

5. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    Sony has been foolish with the PSP every step of the way. They grossly misjudged the market in their determination that console graphics were the biggest issue for handheld gamers (and ignored decades of history) and now they're seemingly going out of their way to botch the marketing of the PSP. These prices are too high and loosely marketing it as a multimedia entertainment system isn't cutting it, nor are those dumb squirrel commercials. They're not funny or in any other way appealing and they tell you absolutely nothing about the product.
    Well okay, let's get real here - Sony's sold like 7 or 8 million of them worldwide in its first year. The thing's hardly a "botched failure." It's just lost out to a cheaper product from the established portable gaming monopoly.
    -Kyo

6. botch the marketing
    That's what he said.
    PSN = knarlockk
    Steam= kevinb150

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    People over speculated (somewhat understandably) after Miyamoto said in an interview that DS was not the GB successor.
    I interpreted it to mean that the GBA would still be supported, though the DS is in the market. So far, that has held true and those that bought a GBA aren't feeling like they got the shaft.

8. A few more numbers stolen from GAF, relating to Japan:

DS: 3,761,175 (year to date) / 5,256,771 (life to date)
    PSP: 2,089,969 (year to date) / 2,572,221 (life to date)
    DS Lead: 1,671,206 (year to date) / 2,684,550 (life to date)

If the DS sells enough units by the end of the year, it'll have an average sales per week for the year of 100,000 units. Right now, it is hovering around an average of 93,000 units sold a week.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

9. Nintendo games finally got with the times and went online. Maybe with these sales, Nintendo will finally get it.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

10. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas in iraq
    Nintendo games finally got with the times and went online. Maybe with these sales, Nintendo will finally get it.
    If you really think the online factor made that big of a deal in Japan, it didn't. As much as we like to believe, the online factor doesn't even make as much of an impact as it comes to sales over here, and the US has to be quite a bit higher than Japan when it comes to the amount of console gamers playing online consoles. The Xbox factor alone would add a huge amount of US online gamers above Japan, and even over here there's only, what, 10% of Xbox owners online via Live?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.