Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP loses to DS in November.

1. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    And people are trying to figure out why Nintendo isn't going overboard with the horsepower on the Revolution. Sounds like they are planning on capturing the same kind of developers, as those found on the DS. Smart move on thier part.
    Bingo. I said the same thing in the Revolution announcement thread. Whether by design or serendipity, the DS has done an excellent job of laying the groundwork and managing expectations for the Revolution.

Developers may well find themselves in a position, if not this coming generation then definitely the one after it, where only the big studios have the manpower and budgets to put enough detail into their art assets and physics systems to take advatage of the powerful hardware.

If the mid-to-small guys start getting squeezed out or just find there isn't enough margin after development costs, you could well see an explosion of creativity happening on Rev; original projects, certainly, which was what the Gamecube lacked. Toss in the ton of publicity the controller will get, the sure soft-sell of old downloadable favourites and the lowball price point, and I honestly beleive Microsoft could well end up playing for third this gen.
    -Kyo

2. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    If the mid-to-small guys start getting squeezed out or just find there isn't enough margin after development costs, you could well see an explosion of creativity happening on Rev
    Or Xbox Live Arcade.

3. I hope Xbox Live Arcade is used like that. It was really pissed away on the Xbox, which bugged me, since I was really hyped for it. They seem to have done more justice to the service with just the 360 stuff on it now than they ever did with it on the Xbox.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. I just bought a DS, and bought more games for it in a week than I have for PSP since owning it in April.

The PSP is nifty hardware with horrible games. PS2 ports do not get my 40 - 50 bucks; Takobot looks interesting enough to give a shot, but I'm seriously thinking about selling my PSP. Considering the need for 2.0 to play newer games, coupled with my sole reason for holding onto it being the emulation scene, and...well...

Not to mention Sony's handheld will never work as a multifunction gadget. Too much of the product is proprietary. You have to use Sony's memory sticks, use their encoding methods, use their audio file formats, and etc etc etc. The thing is no iPod, for sure, and that their lame hope that having games as an afterthought somehow one-ups their product over Apple's is downright ludicrous.

So we have a portable that's biggest draw is gaming, and it doesn't even do that well. Lumines is fun as hell, but when I can own a DS and have just as much fun with Mario Kart, Castlevania, Kirby, Animal Crossing, and the like, I'm starting to see why kickass, sexy as hell hardware means nil when the games aren't up to snuff. Which, ultimately, makes me wonder how the PSP is catching up in sales - are people really so brainwashed by gaming mags and the GTA hype that they'd spend close to 300 dollars just to ply one game? Which, by the reviews I've been reading, isn't even that great of a game...but it's GTA in your pocket, so all glaring problems are forgiven!

Meh...anyone want a PSP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    But you may see DS noticeably become the focus of publishers' portable development over the next year, unless PSP produces a breakout hit.
    I think GTA:LCS is that breakaway hit. It sold twice as well as the nearest DS game in October and garnered strong reviews. It's hard to imagine anything that could be better than a new GTA as an exclusive.

The problem is that Sony fired its big gun and it failed to dent the DS. Nintendo's new Mario Bro's game and Metroid game are coming, and who knows about a Zelda game. It all looks downhill here for Sony.
    No gnus is good gnus.

6. and here i thought it was common knowledge the GB line was beating the PSP. at least that what i figured all along.

7. Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll
    I think GTA:LCS is that breakaway hit. It sold twice as well as the nearest DS game in October and garnered strong reviews. It's hard to imagine anything that could be better than a new GTA as an exclusive.

The problem is that Sony fired its big gun and it failed to dent the DS. Nintendo's new Mario Bro's game and Metroid game are coming, and who knows about a Zelda game. It all looks downhill here for Sony.
    Sony needs to release more quality games. Majority of releases are gay ass movies that are overpriced and costs more than DVDs

8. It's ironic, the PSP had a nice variety of games at launch, the DS had a relatively poor launch and took awhile to trickle out the goods. Now the DS has much more variety and the PSP is almost starved (thanks in part to Kaz Hirai thinking the PSP is an IPod)

9. Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll

But did it sell twice as much as Animal Crossing in it's first week? In Japan, the game sold over 150,000 units.www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

10. Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll

Considering that game's pedigree, it's actually been a pretty big disappointment. Same with Madden. Both were supposed to really push units, but neither have really qualified as "breakout" hits, just successful games within their own market. I'd wager Mario Kart beats both of them. Animal Crossing may do it worldwide, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    But did it sell twice as much as Animal Crossing in it's first week? In Japan, the game sold over 150,000 units.www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm
    Try 325 000. But I've read estimates of GTA: LCS at around 400 000 so far. But since it won't sell in Japan (I'll wager it doesn well in Europe) AC should end up with the larger world wide number. And it probably cost less than a quarter of LCS' budget to produce.
    -Kyo