Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP loses to DS in November.

Back when I worked retail, people would look at the GBA SP and say shit like "$100 for that? It's so small."

I would try to tell them that small is desirable in consumer portable electronics, but then I'd stop and not care.

The PSP is too expensive to be a huge hit. The DS has great games and is less than half the price, gg.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I dunno about all the hate for UMDs. I see people buying them all the time. I wish they didn't take up new sections at stores but if that's what people want....
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    I dunno about all the hate for UMDs. I see people buying them all the time. I wish they didn't take up new sections at stores but if that's what people want....
    I'm all for the UMDs. Whatever brings in the money but when you go look at shelves, all you see are movies. There are barely any games.

4. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo

Try 325 000. But I've read estimates of GTA: LCS at around 400 000 so far. But since it won't sell in Japan (I'll wager it doesn well in Europe) AC should end up with the larger world wide number. And it probably cost less than a quarter of LCS' budget to produce.
    I'm doing IT support from a help desk. My web browser blocks that page, so I had to do it from memory. I thought it sold around 150,000 units in one week, but had a total of 325,000.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    The PSP is too expensive to be a huge hit. The DS has great games and is less than half the price, gg.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    I'm all for the UMDs. Whatever brings in the money but when you go look at shelves, all you see are movies. There are barely any games.
    Marketing error X 2

In truth Sony doesn't know if they're selling a gaming, movie, or multimedia system.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    The DS has great games
    As much as this is said, I still don't see it.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

7. Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas in iraq
    I'm not that interested in DS either

BUT... Castlevania, new 2D Mario game & that niffty Kirby game look good

8. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas in iraq
    Neither handheld really has me sold on its library, but the DS is leagues above the PSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    Not to mention Sony's handheld will never work as a multifunction gadget. Too much of the product is proprietary. You have to use Sony's memory sticks, use their encoding methods, use their audio file formats, and etc etc etc. The thing is no iPod, for sure, and that their lame hope that having games as an afterthought somehow one-ups their product over Apple's is downright ludicrous.
    What's so proprietary about drag-and-drop mp3 playback (especially considering Sony's proclivity towards SonicStage for every one of its mp3 players)? And iPod and most portables with video playback use the same 'proprietary' format. Encoding videos for your memory stick playback is admittedly more complicated than it should be, but there's always UMD video. Plus there's the Internet browsing, direct transfer of photos from your camera to your PSP..

Of all the complaints I've made about the PSP (pricing in the US, the library, the handheld's form factor, etc.), its multimedia functions are not one of them. That said, I can't recommend PSP over iPod if you have no interest in games of the PSP's library..

10. Regarding PSP and it's broad but unfocused functionality, there was a nice article about that on LostGarden recently:

http://lostgarden.com/2005/12/conver...d-to-hate.html