Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP loses to DS in November.

1. The Lost Garden is so amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. It's the only site with what i would call true "game jounalism."

3. I think Sony's handled the PSP's functions fairly well so far by downplaying the system's many different features and focusing on its core abilities. For the average consumer that hasn't studied the system in-depth like we have, the PSP's a handheld game machine and full-length movie player, and there's plenty of software (..not very good software in my opinion, but at least they're selling) that supports those functions. There's plenty of other uses for the device for those who wish to dig that deep, or until Sony creates a specific service for one of the handheld's many functions that the average consumer will flock to. I'm not saying that they won't abuse and mishandle the advertisement and marketing of PSP's abilities; they just haven't yet.

Basically, I don't consider PSP's media playback from a memory stick playback any different from being able to playing music CDs in game consoles for over a decade now. PSP is being sold as a game and movie machine and nothing else.. well not yet anyway.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Taito
    I think Sony's handled the PSP's functions fairly well so far by downplaying the system's many different features and focusing on its core abilities. For the average consumer that hasn't studied the system in-depth like we have, the PSP's a handheld game machine and full-length movie player, and there's plenty of software (..not very good software in my opinion, but at least they're selling) that supports those functions. There's plenty of other uses for the device for those who wish to dig that deep, or until Sony creates a specific service for one of the handheld's many functions that the average consumer will flock to. I'm not saying that they won't abuse and mishandle the advertisement and marketing of PSP's abilities; they just haven't yet.

Basically, I don't consider PSP's media playback from a memory stick playback any different from being able to playing music CDs in game consoles for over a decade now. PSP is being sold as a game and movie machine and nothing else.. well not yet anyway.
    That may be sooner than later!

Sony is making transferring media such as photos or movies from your PC to PSP easy with its PSP Media Managaer Kit. The kit is available via download for $19.95 (at www.sony.com/mediasoftware ) or through a boxed edition tha also includes a six-foot USB 2.0 cable, sample media, and a five free Sony Connect song downloads. This boxed edition is available through www.sonystyle.com for $29.99. A retail edition was not planned as of this writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sony.com
    The PSP Media Manager software provides quick navigation and thumbnail previews to easily identify photos and videos to move from the PC to PSP system, and even lets users select amongst different quality settings (bit rates) for the transferred media. The PSP Media Manager application supports most popular video and audio formats, and also makes it simple to locate and subscribe to a variety of RSS feeds including podcasts, video blogs, and PSP formatted magazines for automatic downloading to the PSP system. The software also provide a one-click option that lets users back up game saves, images, videos, and music files from the PSP system to their PC.

"With more then two million PSP systems sold in North America as of September 2005, the PSP system has established itself as the preeminent device for mobile entertainment and gaming. Now, with the release of the new PSP Media Manager software, we're providing Sony technology that lets users easily optimize and transfer their content from the PC to their PSP system using a familiar drag-and-drop interface," says Dave Chaimson, vice president of marketing, Sony Media Software. "Whether your source is 16:9 high definition video footage, a collection of photos from your latest vacation, or a PSP formatted publication, this new technology lets you view and share it anywhere you and your PSP system go."

"Since its inception, the PSP system has quickly become the device of choice for portable entertainment. Whether it's games, music, movies photos or Internet access, no other portable media device provides as much functionality and entertainment as the PSP system," says John Koller, senior product manager, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "PSP Media Manager software enables consumers to easily manage and move their favorite media from their PC to their PSP. The PSP system, coupled with the new PSP Media Manager software, provides a complete solution for truly enjoying the PSP system's portable entertainment capabilities."

PSP Media Manager Features Includes:

General
    Extensive video, audio, and image support
    Easy drag-and-drop transfer to PSP
    Photo and video thumbnail preview
    Background processing

Video
    Video support for .mp4, .avi, .mpg, .mov, .wmv, and more
    High quality, Sony AVC (H.264) video encoding
    Customizable target encoding settings

Music

Automatic album name folder creation
    Audio support for .mp3, .wav, .wma, and other formats
    Gracenote® CD album identification
    Customizable bitrate options for encoding and playback

Images
    Automatic photo album name folder creation
    One-click transfer of entire PSP-formatted magazines
    Image support for .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .png, .tif, and others

Feeds
    Built-in directory of popular RSS feeds including ACIDplanet.com podcasts
    One-click refresh to get the latest podcast episodes on the PSP
    Feed subscription, import, and export

Game Saves
    Back up game saves on your computer or PSP
    Move game saves between Memory Stick™ Duo media
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Dec 2005 at 05:17 PM.

5. I think the one of the reasons the PSP isnt selling is theres no demo systems still! I havent seen one anywhere. Maybe if people actually saw the thing it would maybe move a few more systems. The commercials dont show shit and probably wont sell shit. Demo Demos Demos are the key.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

6. Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMoogle
    I think the one of the reasons the PSP isnt selling is theres no demo systems still! I havent seen one anywhere. Maybe if people actually saw the thing it would maybe move a few more systems. The commercials dont show shit and probably wont sell shit. Demo Demos Demos are the key.
    I saw a couple playable demo units for the first time in Best Buy a few weeks ago... they were tightly secured in a weird, angular position unsuited for optimal (or even comfortable) viewing, and one of them was on the menu screen w/ no game inserted. The one with the game had Hot Shots Golf in it, a nice game but hardly one to make most people take particular notice.

Good going, Sony.

7. Wait, Final Fantasy VI is coming to DS next year?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMoogle
    I think the one of the reasons the PSP isnt selling is theres no demo systems still! I havent seen one anywhere. Maybe if people actually saw the thing it would maybe move a few more systems. The commercials dont show shit and probably wont sell shit. Demo Demos Demos are the key.
    My EB has one.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    Wait, Final Fantasy VI is coming to DS next year?
    No, everybody's lying just to make you think it is.

9. I've been seeing PSP demo systems in every EB I've been in the last couple months. They're usually playing The Con and the analog nub is usually missing.

Sony: "With more then two million PSP systems sold in North America as of September 2005, the PSP system has established itself as the preeminent device for mobile entertainment and gaming.....Since its inception, the PSP system has quickly become the device of choice for portable entertainment."

I like how Sony just ignores the fact that they're losing in every sales category in every continent to TWO Nintendo "portable entertainment" systems and about 17 models of Ipod. Nintendo should just come out with a press release along the lines of "With sales of over 5 million, the DS has established itself as the most successful videogame system in history".

10. "I like how Sony just ignores the fact that they're losing in every sales category in every continent to TWO Nintendo "portable entertainment" systems and about 17 models of Ipod."

Maybe you should work in their PR department so you can please the shareholders with this

"Well, we aren't really doing very well"