Page 1 of 22 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP loses to DS in November.

1. PSP loses to DS in November.

Bear in mind that these are not total/final sales figures as the news story clearly states. It does look like the gap may be starting to close though, DS sold apprx 20,000 more units which is not a huge lead for the month. Impressive though that GBA SP and Micro sales sold several times more than both systems. December's sales will be more telling.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/674/674746p1.html

Nintendo Holding Back Sony in November

Even with good ol' GTA, PSP couldn't manage to top either Nintendo handheld last month.

by Craig Harris

December 9, 2005 - The NPD numbers are trickling in, and though we don't have the final spot on tally sales figures on hand, it's clear that Nintendo is still holding its own against the pure muscle that Sony's flexing with its PlayStation Portable.

November was expected to be Sony's biggest month yet with the release of Grand Theft Auto for the PSP, but even with those huge guns, if the numbers are correct both the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance managed to outsell the Sony portable individually.

Though NPD has gone on the record stating that these currently posted numbers are inaccurate and will be updated in the near future, if these numbers are even close to the final tally, no system slouched in sales. Sony managed to sell more than 360,000 systems in the span of November. But the Nintendo DS, using the brutality of Mario Kart DS and other key titles already on the shelves, got more than 380,000 systems in gamers' hands. Of course, the Game Boy Advance, with its newly released Micro design as well as the brand new, brighter SP system, beat both systems combined: Nintendo sold through approximately 900,000 GBA systems in November.

2. Nintendo made me by a DS after I sold mine for a PSP.

Good Show Nintendo, well played.

3. Although I favor the DS, I must concede that it's pretty impressive that a system that's over $100 more is staying so close.

Of course, this month had GTA... If that can't push the PSP to a victory, it's hard to imagine anything can.

4. I know what can.

Stop forcing updates.

5. Firmware updates, the average joe shmoe game consumer doesn't care about those. They need to make a cheapo pack with just the system, charger and 32MB mem card.

Also, I think the only additional thing that could have helped them have a real chance of surpassing DS last month would have been Daxter or a well marketed FF game. But Crisis Core is a long way off. Advent Children. hmmm, whole 'nother story. They couldn't even deliver that.

edit: I will say this though, Tokobot is the first game to tear me away from Mario Kart for awhile. If PSP can keep delivering the occasional unique game like that, not to mention Loco Roco and Every Extend, then the PSP will at least have some unique content touch pad or no.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 13 Dec 2005 at 10:09 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC

Also, I think the only additional thing that could have helped them have a real chance of surpassing DS last month would have been Daxter or a well marketed FF game. But Crisis Core is a long way off. Advent Children. hmmm, whole 'nother story. They couldn't even deliver that.
    Crisis Core isn't going to sell me a console...

The fact that by the end of next year I can play FF1-6 on a DS easily wrecks the PSP.

7. Guh. I hate threads like this because they're usuallly troll bait, but this one is worth leaving open just because it shows Nintendo isn't finished as a first party, which I consider pretty important to gaming in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Although I favor the DS, I must concede that it's pretty impressive that a system that's over $100 more is staying so close.
    I'm with you - when I saw the price announced for the first time I thought there would be some price cuts coming quickly or they'd run out of people willing to pay that much in a hurry. Then they came out and said they had "a new pricing model" that wouldn't involve price cuts. I guess they saw what people were willing to pay for iPods with less functionality, and figured they had a market.

Sony's problem now becomes retaining developers. DS development is like 1/8th of what it costs to put a decent looking game on PSP, so publishers can still make more money on a DS game even if it sells less. That's why you've seen so much development on Nintendo's system, even though it's underpowered and doesn't have half the marketing push. If PSP can't at least provide a larger market base, it's going to have a very hard time maintaining publisher interest.

There's still money to be made there, and Sony has plenty of ties from the home console side so games will still keep coming. But you may see DS noticeably become the focus of publishers' portable development over the next year, unless PSP produces a breakout hit.
    -Kyo

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    Crisis Core isn't going to sell me a console...

The fact that by the end of next year I can play FF1-6 on a DS easily wrecks the PSP.
    Maybe not you but it and something extra like Daxter would have helped others.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 13 Dec 2005 at 10:35 AM.

9. The DS has gotten my sale this month. Actually, all my game purchases were DS's. Two DS's and 3 games in like 3 days. I havent touched the PSP since buying the DS.

With all these firmware updates and requiring 2.0 to play certain games has probably has probably put a hold for me on the PSP. MKDS, Animal Crossing is holding over, not to mention my girl picking up Phoenix Wright.