Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: "The HD era really only starts when we are on the market" says Sony's Phil Harrison

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I have a DVD player and so does the majority of people who will be buying this thing.
    True, but its always good to have that option there. Especially for people who get rid of older systems and upgrade (assuming those people didnt have DVD players and used a console to watch movies).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    wait until the ps3 price comes out before making retarded comments like this.
    Assuming that it will be the same price as the 360, yeah no problem, I'll go where the games are. It doesnt mean I'm going to like having the Blu-ray marketing monster shoved up my ass any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    blu-ray will happen weather you want it to or not. buying a system that doesn't support it won't make it not happen.
    Are you sure? How many people do you know out there who are eager to dump all of their old DVD's and buy new blu-discs to replace them? I know very few.The PS3 will sell extremely well due to its future library and name, no doubt, but I'd like to see this blu-disc format isolated to just the PS3, the way UMD's are to the PSP's, GC discs are to Gamecube's, etc.

2. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    The more I hear MS and Sony's tech spec pissing contest the more I want a Revolution.
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

3. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    The more I hear MS and Sony's tech spec pissing contest the more I want a Revolution.
    Wait until Reggie opens his fly, then we'll see...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    Are you sure? How many people do you know out there who are eager to dump all of their old DVD's and buy new blu-discs to replace them? I know very few.
    Nobody but tech junkies. Nobody is going to want to be told the 100's of dollars they spent on DVD's over the past 5 years are now worthless, and nobody is going to buy in to it. It's almost a DETERENT, because if they're trying to sell us on a new format already nobody is going to be willing to switch to one that could potentially be outdated within the NEXT four years anyway.

New formats are all about timing. DVD's and mp3's struck while the old formats were clunky, small and obsolete. The promise of high-definition picture isn't enough to sway most people to their new format. How long have movies shot with high-definition camera's anyway? I somehow doubt Indiana is going to look much better.

True, but its always good to have that option there. Especially for people who get rid of older systems and upgrade (assuming those people didnt have DVD players and used a console to watch movies).
    It's a good thing to have, but if you're forcing people to pay for stuff they don't really need it becomes more of a burden than anything, especially now that they're pushing the technological edge and new consoles (sans Nintendo) are costing so much for the consumer to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. For years, I did not buy VHS tapes because I wanted DVDs. Not because of sound and definition, but because they are long lasting. The DVDs I own still work and I will not upgrade them.

Sony's right, they have Blu Ray and 360 does not. This will make it easier for MS to cut the price of their console, much as Nintendo could by not having DVD in the Cube. I was much more interested in having a DVD player in my PS2 than having Blu Ray in my PS3, and it won't be a selling point for me. I seldom watched DVDs on the PS2, BTW, but I do on occasion.

Talk the trash about 1080i versus 1080p, but the vast majority of gamers will be playing on LD throughout the entire next generation. Is there anybody who would pick a system because of 1080i versus 1080p?
    Last edited by RoleTroll; 13 Dec 2005 at 04:04 PM.
    No gnus is good gnus.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    ...nobody is going to be willing to switch to one that could potentially be outdated within the NEXT four years anyway.
    From what I've read lately, this seems to be a very real possibility, i.e., that neither Blu-Ray nor HD-DVD will be the standard, as they will be eclipsed and supplanted by a format that offers a much bigger leap, at least in terms of storage.
    Anyway, show me some games -- if I like them, I'm sure I'd buy the system.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

7. Quote Originally Posted by Prince Planet
    From what I've read lately, this seems to be a very real possibility, i.e., that neither Blu-Ray nor HD-DVD will be the standard, as they will be eclipsed and supplanted by a format that offers a much bigger leap, at least in terms of storage.
    A dual layer Blu ray holds up to 54 GB. What the heck does anyone need more than that for? Or anything even close to that, for that matter?

PS3 is gonna own. 120 fps, 1080p, double screen, online Mr. Domino will destroy all that has come before.
    -Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by Riptwo
    Beta, minidisc, memory stick, UMD, ______.
    snaps!

Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll
    Is there anybody who would pick a system because of 1080i versus 1080p?
    Yes.

9. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    A dual layer Blu ray holds up to 54 GB. What the heck does anyone need more than that for? Or anything even close to that, for that matter?
    No clue. For videogames in the foreseeable future, there probably is no such need. But that alone doesn't secure Blu-Ray's position as a soon-to-be dominant format.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

10. The entire LOTR extended trilogy with extras and all, all on one disc.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."