Thread: Class action lawsuit against Sony settled.

1. Class action lawsuit against Sony settled.

Sony recently settled a class action lawsuit, for faulty PS2 units that would register Disc Read Errors. I found my console on the list (35001) but I haven't had any problems. If you've had a problem with your console, it's time to get some cash back for it.

Playstation 2's "Disc Read Error" mess has finally bitten Sony on the ass. The company has settled a class action lawsuit covering certain model numbers of the system that would frequently show the error message. Claims are being taken until February 16th, but the court won't approve the lawsuit until spring of next year. For more information you can call 1-800-352-5331, or go to www.ps2settlement.com/

PS2 models listed:

Lawsuits were filed regarding the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system models 30001, 30001R, 35001, 39001, 39010, 50001, and 50010 (“PS2”).

Settlement benefits:

If you are a Class Member who has experienced the alleged problems described above, and you return a completed claim form by the appropriate deadline, you could receive one of the following benefits:

a check for $25 U.S. (or $31 Canadian); or

one PS2 game from a specified list; or

repair or replacement – at SCEA’s option – of a PS2 experiencing the above described alleged problems. That repair may be free for some members of the Recent Purchasers Subclass or may cost $41 ($51 Canada) for other members of that subclass as well as for members of the Repair Fee Subclass and the Loss of Use Subclass. You will need to pay the cost to ship the PS2 to and from SCEA’s authorized service provider. This benefit is subject to the service provider confirming that the PS2 has one of the alleged problems described above.

Depending on which subclass you are in, and the level of proof you submit, you may have the option to choose one benefit from among the choices. More specific information about how to tell which benefits you may be eligible for is found below.
    Last edited by gamevet; 13 Dec 2005 at 05:17 PM.

2. Fuck, I got rid of mine.

3. The only problems I have ever had with my consoles and anything related to them:

NES and the stupid flashing screen where you fix it by putting the cart so that when you push it in, it smashes into that plastic thing

and

My 3D glasses for my Master System are broken

Sony should at least pay up. Twenty-five bucks? Not even worth filling stuff out.

4. There are just three times I've had a console go batshit on me.

- PS1: The CD music started skipping after about 3 years.

- Dreamcast (Modded Japanese): Games would freeze after awhile, yet the music would continue playing.
    - Dreamcast #2 (US): Power supply problems resulting in the system resetting. Bizarrely, this tended to disappear within 10-20 minutes of each poweron.

My JPN PS2, USA PS2, third DC, GCN, and Xbox have not given me any grief yet.

5. i still havn't gotten anything from the netflix lawsuit. i'll pass.

6. The only consoles I've ever seen routinely break down are the original NES, PS1 and PS2. 25 bucks is pretty laughable, hopefully this will at least motivate Sony to start using better components in their systems.

7. Dreamcasts break all the time, actually it is the only console I've ever had die on me, the drive just went one day.

8. My launch PS2 had DREs all the time and the brand spanking new Slim I bought also needs to be sent back because it freezes after ten minutes of play. Sony makes some shoddy crap. These are the only console problems I have ever had.

9. Weird how people have DC problems. I chucked mine across the room and put a crack in the plastic, and it still performed like a champ. Conversely, I've gone through about four PS's, all of them kept dust free and stored properly. My PS2 won't play Wipeout XL in Fast/Smooth mode, and I had to tape up Viewtiful Joe to get it to work.

I could also use $25.00. Fuck it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    My PS2 won't play Wipeout XL in Fast/Smooth mode,.
    not all ps1 games are compatable with those features.