Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: DS games that don't suck.

DS games that don't suck.

I'm curious about Drill Spirits, Meteos, Elektroplanton, the Pacman games and other puzzlers and strat games.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at lot of the titles out already and it's looking pretty weak so far (aside from the above mentioned)
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

2. Electroplankton is ass set to music

3. Drill Spirits American sucks. Get the j version unless you want to miss out on an entire mode and (i could be wrong) single-pak multiplayer.
    It's alright, but Ace and Drill Land were both much better. If you really like Driller, it's worth it, though.

Elektroplankton isn't a game, it's several musical instruments... Kind of. If you see that lasting you more than 5 minutes, it could be interesting. There's no way to record your junk, though. It's... art. Or something.

Pac-Pix is old-school fun. It gets hard really fast though. I can't play it for more than a few minutes at a time, but it's easy to play when you want a fix.

Puzzle- Zoo Keeper, if you don't have a million versions of Bejewled already. Cause that's what it is, with animals. It doesn't suck, though.

Strat- Advance Wars is Advance Wars, duh. If you like that, you'll like it.
    Donk

4. I'm not going to break it down by catagory, but Mario Kart DS, Castlevania and Meteos are the best American DS games money can buy.
    I'm a little lukewarm about Animal Crossing, to be honest, and Yoshi Touch N Go is fantastic but, unless you really don't give a fuck about price, might not be worth the price tag for you.

5. Just for reference, here are the games I own:
    Advance Wars DS, Animal Crossing, Feel the Magic, Mario Kart DS, Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits, Polarium, Puyo Pop Fever, Sprung, Wario Ware Touched, Zoo Keeper, Ouendan!, Jam with the Band, and DS Rakubiki Jiten (Japanese/English dictionary)

Out of the games above, Sprung is the only one I'd consider crap. I even like dating sims, and I think it's crap.

I've never been a huge fan of Mr. Driller, but I got it for cheap. What makes the game fun for me is that there is this mode where there's this big drill robot above you, and you have to outrace him, while trying to collect pellets so that you can shoot at him and eventually destroy him. I like the pressure of that mode, so that part is fun. Otherwise, I've never been able to get into the Mr. Driller games.

Meteos is a great game if you're going to be playing against friends. From what I've played, though, I'm not sure how much fun single player would be. It probably is, but I haven't tried it yet. If you're looking for a new type of puzzle game, I've never heard anything but great things about it.

I haven't played Pac n' Roll yet, so no opinion on that. I tried out Pac Pixs while in Japan, and it seemed like a nice little game. My girlfriend loved it, but I'm not sure how deep it would be for somebody like you or I. It came off feeling like it could get old pretty fast, but again, I just played it for a bit.

Other puzzle games:

Zoo Keeper - basically Bejewled. One player options suck. No endless mode, no mode where you can just play without all of the "leveling up" garbage. Quest mode is SO based on utter luck of the drawl that it'll make you want to break the game. Great to have to play with a girlfriend who likes the game, iffy otherwise.

Polarium - picked this up yesterday at Toys R Us for $10, and so far I'm pleasantly surprised by it. It is more of a "thinking" puzzle game, where you have to figure out the solution to each puzzle. There's also an endless mode that is actually pretty cool. Haven't tried out the two player options so far.

Puyo Pop Fever - Probably my favorite version of Puyo now. Eight players at once is totally crazy fun, and you can bring in any balance of human and computer opponents. You can also set up teams, which is great. If you like Puyo, this version is a must.

Bust a Move - haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen, the DS version brings back the endless mode that hasn't been present since the SNES version, so this is a must for me.

Beyond that, seriously, Ouendan rocks. Hard. Castlevania is supposed to be one of the best Castlevania titles ever, so I still need to get that. I still need to pick up that, Lost in Blue, Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, and Trace Memory.

Bomberman DS is actually a really good version, but I'm waiting for the next one and hoping that it is online. Kirby's Canvas is supposed to be good, as is Sonic Rush, so I'm considering those. I loved Snowboard Kids on the N64, so I want to check out the DS version. Viewtiful Joe is another possibility.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Bomberman DS is actually a really good version, but I'm waiting for the next one and hoping that it is online. Kirby's Canvas is supposed to be good, as is Sonic Rush, so I'm considering those. I loved Snowboard Kids on the N64, so I want to check out the DS version. Viewtiful Joe is another possibility.
    Sonic Rush is the best game in the entire franchise. Better than the Genesis titles, better than CD, better than the Advance series. Definitely buy it.

Viewtiful Joe isn't worth getting unless you're a hardcore VJ fan and would buy absolutely anything attached to the series. It's a lot more puzzle oriented than the other games, which would be fine if the game didn't solve all of the puzzles for you roughly 80% of the time. And what little action there is consists of no more than two enemies at once (or one enemy and two balloon animals/background hazards), who are almost always dumb enough to beat without using VFX or even dodging. The game is also really short, and the only unlockable is V-Rated mode. For shame, Capcom.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shidoshi
    DS Rakubiki Jiten (Japanese/English dictionary)
    I did not know this existed. Thank you, DS. Thank you.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Not Shade
    Viewtiful Joe isn't worth getting unless you're a hardcore VJ fan and would buy absolutely anything attached to the series. It's a lot more puzzle oriented than the other games, which would be fine if the game didn't solve all of the puzzles for you roughly 80% of the time. And what little action there is consists of no more than two enemies at once (or one enemy and two balloon animals/background hazards), who are almost always dumb enough to beat without using VFX or even dodging. The game is also really short, and the only unlockable is V-Rated mode. For shame, Capcom.
    And with this, Viewtiful Joe became $5 and under fodder. Thanks for the savings.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. Meteos doesn't suck.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Revolter
    DS games that don't suck.
    I've only heard of two and neither are on your list.