Thread: Router question

1. Router question

Best buy has a nice rebate for a router with wi-fi support at $29. I'd consider it, but the thing that's bugging comes from it being limited to 54Mbps. I can get 100Mbps with my current router, but would it be worth the downgrade If I wanna get mario kart online?
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

2. I don't know how much longer this deal is gonna last, so I need to know soon.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

3. Basically, go ahead and get the new router. 54Mbps likely means it's a "G" wireless router which is totally fine. The router also likely has regular 10/100 ethernet ports anyway. Also, you would likely never come close to maxing out the router's bandwidth.

4. Just got back from best buy and noticed it jumped up to $39. Fuck!

I'm gonna consider nintendo's wi-fi adapter. Thanks anyway.

On a related note, I'm having trouble connecting at home. I keep getting error code 80420 or something similar.

I was playing online at McDonalds all last night so wtf? Global McConspiracy?
    Last edited by Revoltor; 12 Dec 2005 at 07:54 PM.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

6. I haven't encountered a problem with any router I have tried, both with my friend's linksys this weekend (after turning off WEP it connected like a snap unlike other stories I have heard) and at work which is supposedly an even crappier linksys. Both consistently give me 3 bars on Mario Kart. So I don't think I'll even bother getting the USB adaptor once I buy a new PC next year.

I found this but I'll have to wait till tomorrow to screw around with it again:

http://www.nintendowifi.com/customer...=80420&x=0&y=0

I'm sure it's some stupid firewall baloney.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    Best buy has a nice rebate for a router with wi-fi support at $29. I'd consider it, but the thing that's bugging comes from it being limited to 54Mbps. I can get 100Mbps with my current router, but would it be worth the downgrade If I wanna get mario kart online?
    My service provider, Comcast, gives me 8mbps downa and 300kbps up. Do you really think you'll have a problem? It will certainly slow down LAN transfers, but other than that, your fine.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    My service provider, Comcast, gives me 8mbps downa and 300kbps up. Do you really think you'll have a problem? It will certainly slow down LAN transfers, but other than that, your fine.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Man, I thought Comcast was faster than that. You only get 300kbps up?