Thread: Video Card doesn't display Red?

1. Video Card doesn't display Red?

yesterday I went to turn on my monitor and found that no red color would display at all. Blue, Yellow, White, Black, all display fine, but no hint of red anywhere.

I've plugged the monitor in elsewhere and it works just fine with a full range of colors.

I'm running on an All in Wonder 9800 Pro. I replaced the DVI -> VGA adapter with no change. So I'm guessing it's a video card problem.

Plus, even on startup, all dos text contains a blue tint, so It's not just inside Windows.

Anyone know what could have gone wrong and if there's any way to fix it?

2. I'd start with re-installing the drivers and possibly putting the video card in another computer and trying it there. If the driver reinstall doesn't work you might want to look on ATI's website to see if this is a common problem that has occured before.

It sounds like you could've fried something somewhere on the card but hopefully it's a software problem and not involved with the hardware.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

3. If it happens at startup, it's not a driver issue

4. Does the red flicker in and out if you wiggle the cable where it connects to the card?

It sounds like a broken solder joint on the video cards output port.
    If you put too much stress on the cable while it's connected to the video card, you can break the connection between the circuit board and the DVI connector.

Take a look at the underside of the video card, where the leads from the DVI port are soldered to the board, and see if any of the solder joints are cracked or seperated.
    You might need to use a magnifying glass.

If that's you're problem, it's a pretty easy fix.
    All you'd need to do is reheat that bit of solder until it melts back on.

5. That sounds like it could be the problem. I unplug/replug the monitor cable a lot when switching from PC to my PS2 so I figured that was probably what caused it.