Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Spammers 2

1. Spammers 2

Since the thread is now closed, and Josh banned, I will do my part to help keep his fight against spammers going.

My offer still stands Nick. I'm not saying that you're an idiot or anything, but maybe I can notice an option that you didn't. There has to be a way to only allow people to reply up until they hit X number of posts, and then automatically bump them once they reach that point - if that's what you want to do.
    Last edited by mollipen; 16 Dec 2005 at 02:26 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. No, be my guest. I'll set you up. When it comes to TNL, I pretty much just pay the bills at this point, so I'm no vBulletin expert. I love this place and I want what's best, and you are definitely one of the brightest people I could ask to look into this.

3. There is also the valid option of monitoring the persons first post. CGTalk makes it mandatory for a moderator to approve someone's first post to ensure no spam or "hi I'm new" threads make it through (www.cgtalk.com btw). It means mods and admins will have to handle the situation regularly so people don't end up shying away from the site because they think they can't get in. Putting an approval or invite on is not a viable option because it closes the site off way, waaay too much to the general public (this is a public site after all).

The only problem that I can see with this solution is it becomming a very large nuisance and chore to the mods and admins.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 16 Dec 2005 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Here is the problem I've hit.

I went it, and created a new user group, which would have limited options until they post X amount of posts. (I have it currently set at 10.) The problem is - for some utterly stupid reason - it seems vBulletin doesn't give you the ability to set what the default user group should be: it makes it the "Registered" user group, and that's it. (Somebody please tell me that vBulletin 3 isn't actually that stupid, and there is a way to do it.)

So, if we wanted to do things this way, here is what I would have to do: set up the Registered user group as the limited access user group, create a new "Trusted Member" or whatnot user group, and then basically bump everybody in the Registered group now up to the new Trusted Member group.

So, that is where I stand now.

5. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Here is the problem I've hit.

I went it, and created a new user group, which would have limited options until they post X amount of posts. (I have it currently set at 10.) The problem is - for some utterly stupid reason - it seems vBulletin doesn't give you the ability to set what the default user group should be: it makes it the "Registered" user group, and that's it. (Somebody please tell me that vBulletin 3 isn't actually that stupid, and there is a way to do it.)

So, if we wanted to do things this way, here is what I would have to do: set up the Registered user group as the limited access user group, create a new "Trusted Member" or whatnot user group, and then basically bump everybody in the Registered group now up to the new Trusted Member group.

So, that is where I stand now.
    Interesting, so it would automatically bump them up after so many posts?

How hard would it be to bump everybody up to the new group? Is there a way to do that en masse... or would it have to be done one by one?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. All I care about is the people who are here now can post threads and people who aren't here now have to wait.

However it works sounds pretty good to me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb
    Interesting, so it would automatically bump them up after so many posts?
    Yup. I based the rules on what I do over at my place - you have to post ten posts before you get bumped up, and you can't start any new threads, only reply to already existing posts.

How hard would it be to bump everybody up to the new group? Is there a way to do that en masse... or would it have to be done one by one?
    Not hard at all. Once the changes are made, people should bump up automatically. Once everybody was bumped up, then I could reconfigure the current "standard" user group to be the filter between newbies and valid users.

What I would probably do, if the powers that be decided they wanted to take this route, is bump people in blocks. Bumping up 3000+ users all at one time wouldn't be the best of ideas. I'd set it so that like the ten highest posters on the board are bumped, make sure everything goes okay, and then continue to drop down the amount of posts you need to get bumped up to that new group until everybody is moved over.

8. josh was banned why?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    josh was banned why?
    Check previous "Spammers" thread, and then the "cka is a dick" thread in VB.

10. VB does not exist to me. i can't see or access it.
    my opinion on that other thread is this. the only person we should watch how we talk to is Nick since he pays the bills. a lot of "admins" don't really do jack and bust out the ban stick once in a blue moon and act like they're doing their job. you can't talk back to an admin now? lol.

i see the only real way to stop spam is to not have all the assholes here post "in before the lock" or the usual bullshit that accompanies a spam thread. just let the fucking threads die. and IF somebody posts more than one then ban them, that's what the admins are here for.