Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaur computer..

1. Dinosaur computer..

I finally got around to wiping out all the information in my 486DX. After wiping out the info with DBAN, I decided to take out the harddrive, CD-ROM, Floppy. Since I was in a disassembly mode, I took out all them other thing-a-majigs such as sound card? the mobo and whatever else. Now that I have taken it all apart, what is the best thing to do with them? Break them into pieces so that its unsalvagable, sell it (who takes them besides eBay?) or donate (who takes them?)

I thought about selling but I wouldnt get much considering its sooooo old (10 years old). Not to mention, it was custom built so I dont remember what model and brand some of the parts are (ie the memory).

Any suggestions?

2. Make the bits into keychains?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

You may be able to pay someone to take it off your hands. Seriously though, you could try selling it on eBay I guess, but you will be lucky if you even get the shipping costs covered. Old comp components, at least ones that old, aren't worth shit.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    You may be able to pay someone to take it off your hands. Seriously though, you could try selling it on eBay I guess, but you will be lucky if you even get the shipping costs covered. Old comp components, at least ones that old, aren't worth shit.
    I know. Thats what I was looking at on eBay, to see if any would sell and it doesnt look like it. I cant even sell my 15" CTX color monitor.

5. The only way stuff like that is worth anything, if it its some obscure hardware that was used for some dedicated system of some sort that someone is looking for those exact parts.

In other words, pitch it into the dump.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    The only way stuff like that is worth anything, if it its some obscure hardware that was used for some dedicated system of some sort that someone is looking for those exact parts.

In other words, pitch it into the dump.
    Probably. Just thought that someone out there might need or maybe make a nice donation but I guess it would be worthless and pointless with these technology these days. Maybe the monitor might come in handy though.

7. Give it to Good Will and get a reciept. You can use it as a cheritable deduction on your next income tax return.

8. Does it work when assembled?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander
    Does it work when assembled?
    Yep. everything worked. Just that I wiped all the information off the HD. Than I took everything apart cuz I was going to chuck the case and sell off the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    Give it to Good Will and get a reciept. You can use it as a cheritable deduction on your next income tax return.
    I assume they'll take it even if I disassembled the whole thing.

10. Throw it together and drop it off. They don't check that crap at the drop off points.