Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghibli's next project revealed

1. Ghibli's next project revealed

From Aintitcool.com:
    Ghibli's Next Update

From Nausicaa.net

Studio Ghibli has officially announced that their next feature film will be Gedo Senki (Gedo War History), directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro Miyazaki. The film will be an adaptation of Ursula K Le Guin's "A Wizard of Earthsea," and will be released in the Japanese theatres in July 2006.

Twitch points out that Kaiju Shakedown has a translations of Goro Miyazaki's comments about his father's ambivalence about the role here

The Studio's official site has also undergone a revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Quote Originally Posted by LordPerrin
    Hopefully, they do a better job of it then Howl's Moving Castle; as I like Ursula K. Le Guin's writing a lot.

3. are you hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

4. Anyone have any speculations as to why studio ghilbi seems to be doing adaptations of other people's work, instead of original films as of late?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa
    are you hot?
    Na, I'm actually pretty cold. Weather here is pretty crappy imo. Though, it seems to be imporiving.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa
    are you hot?
    She totally is.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok
    She totally is.

Stop lying to the man. Bad!

edit: And more love/ commentary to Miyazaki pls.

7. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok
    She totally is.
    I agree.

And I never saw Howl's Moving Castle, despite being very interested. What was wrong with it?

8. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    And I never saw Howl's Moving Castle, despite being very interested. What was wrong with it?
    Nothing. It was great. A little slower than expected, but not at all bad.

9. I guess I had high expectations of it from the book. If you go in knowing nothing about it, it's an okay film, (though the ending is pretty weak/rushed imo).

Howl himself is just completely different, and that threw me. I understand cutting for time restraints, and some of the more unusual changes they made, but I didn't understand how they could make Howl so...outwardly noble I guess. He's a much more complicated character. I don't know how to describe it. The only part of his character that was adaquatly conveyed was during the scene with the hair dye- that's Howl. He's vain, tempermental, a total womanizier, and he doesn't commit to anything. The fact that they just completely avoided discussing the curse the Witch placed on him (which is 1/2 the reason he acts that way) also baffled me. He's noble, but you're not supposed to see it so blatantly, it's subtle. And as the reader you don't fully appreciate the character until the ending when everything comes together.

Sophie herself is better, but they cut out the fact that she has magic to begin with. Why does calcifer trick her into staying- because she has magic! Why do her hats have effect on people, because she has magic. Why does the scarecrow wake up and start following her--Her magic!

Basically, Howl and Sophie from the movie, is not Howl and Sophie from the book in any way shape or form. Which is why, when I say that I hope they do a better job of adapting Le Guin's Work, I'm not saying that Howl is a terrible movie. I'm saying that it's in no way the book. It took the two sentence description on the back and based the movie on that. The two sentence blurb isn't the book. Even the basic theme's she works with in the book aren't present in the movie.

But I digress. With that said, I still intend to buy it when it comes out on dvd.

10. Quote Originally Posted by LenLen
    I guess I had high expectations of it from the book. If you go in knowing nothing about it, it's an okay film, (though the ending is pretty weak/rushed imo).
    Hey, guys! I'm a prince! ...hello? ...helloooo? Fine, fuck you! *hop hop hop*