Thread: FirstBlood: Junior Year Prints

1. FirstBlood: Junior Year Prints

So i finally got to taking pictures of my most recent work.

The first are three woodblock prints, carved out individually from the same large block of MDF-board (three 11x14 images on one large block)

Then I have 2 9x12 copper plate etchings. These 5 prints are all figures of slovakian gypsies in the 60's.

... continued next post [edit] can't seem to get any more attachments working right now, so I guess I'll post the rest later today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Block 1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	18151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Block 2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	18152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Block 3.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	18153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Etching Sitting white.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	18154  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Etching standing white 1.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	18155  
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 27 Dec 2005 at 02:44 PM.

2. The next four prints are 4 more woodblock prints, of various child-labor related Lewis Hine photographs. Again all worked on individually on the same large block. I eventually cut down the blocks and experimented with printing them with different color combinations. These prints are each around 9x18".

3. I love the first child worker pic. I thought the fourth image of that set was of an old woman before I read your post =\

All of the child images are stronger than the woodblock prints from the first post , I think. Are the ones with the faded colors like that in real life, or is that just how the photos came out?

4. Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Are the ones with the faded colors like that in real life, or is that just how the photos came out?
    Yeah I think the color's a bit faded in the pictures. The paper is also thinner which dulls the color a bit. I have some on different paper, where the colors a bit more vibrant. It's really hard to photograph woodblocks, because the ink tends to end up rather shiny, and therefore is hard to get even lighting on.

I'll also take this post as an opportunity to post the last three pieces from the semester.

First is another etching. A bit more of a cinematic image that the other two figures. Included is the etching with and without white ink stencil-rolled onto the plate (which is what I did to the previous two, I'll post those without the white later)

Next is another woodblock, a bit larger this time, trying to grab a balance between the two sets of blocks.

And last is a combination, with a woodblock printed on top of an etching. Again, trying to combine the style of the etchings with that of the woodblocks.

5. I'm not kidding, there's 5 or 6 of those I would pay really good money for.