Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Plea for Help in Configuring My Router _Correctly_

1. A Plea for Help in Configuring My Router _Correctly_

I've got me a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless G router.
    Now, everytime I start a computer or device, it gets a random IP starting at a certain number, as usual. However, I'm getting mighty sick of having to reconfigure my open ports for every new device. I mean, I'm up to the sixth IP on this router, now. This also worries me because I didn't think I had this many devices running simultaneously.
    So, basically, I wanted to know what I should do to bind certain computers to certain IPs on this network and what kind of protection over the wireless I should consider. I may be a computer man, but I'm no networking man.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    I've got me a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless G router.
    Now, everytime I start a computer or device, it gets a random IP starting at a certain number, as usual. However, I'm getting mighty sick of having to reconfigure my open ports for every new device. I mean, I'm up to the sixth IP on this router, now. This also worries me because I didn't think I had this many devices running simultaneously.
    So, basically, I wanted to know what I should do to bind certain computers to certain IPs on this network and what kind of protection over the wireless I should consider. I may be a computer man, but I'm no networking man.
    You need to set all your comps to have static IPs. Right click your network connection, and under the general tab scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Hit properties, then hit the "Use the following IP address" button. Now, go to "Run" in the Start Menu, and type "cmd", then "ipconfig /all". This will show you your current IP address, subnetmask, gateway, and DNS servers. Enter in the IP of your choice, for ex 192.168.1.101, or whatever you want (just make sure it's the same as what ports you have forwarded to in your router setup page), and the subnet, gateway and DNS servers. If you have more than 2 DNS servers in your "ipconfig", hit "advanced", "DNS", then
    "Add" to add any additional ones. Hit OK, your connection will reset itself to that new IP, and bam, your done. Your going to want to do this to all the comps on your network, or you may get IP conflicts.

3. Awesome. Thanks for the help.
    This is going to be the asspain for the laptops, though, as they need to be taken back and forth to school. Hm.

I have the same router, and the same problem. I only have 2 comps on the network though, so my IP never changes between .100 and .101. I just forwarded my ports for both IPs. I will probably go ahead and try what Mykozo said. I tried to do this before but I figured I had to set static IPs in the router set up or whatever.

Any word if its possible to use this router (its an internet router) to send files between pc's on the network?
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

5. I'm honestly thinking of just switching routers. Linksys seems to be way too neutered as to keep families from breaking shit. We sell a ton of D-Link and NetGear at my store. I might just ask some opinions. I mean, seriously, I feel like I can barely do anything with it.

Really? After a year or so I've finally got mine figured out well enough to the point where it works the second I turn my PC on, and I don't have to reconnect. ever. I don't know what else you would want, but there are 3rd party firmware files you can download...
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

7. I have the router here and it is the best one I have ever put my hands on for home use.

Wireless/Gigabit/A new improved user interface that destroys what Linksys has and this thing = top notch!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127158

8. I've read nothing but great things about that router JMET. I bought my D-Link wireless(624)right before that one hit the market. I wish I would have waited, but the one I have now works wonderfully.

I use 4 Nintendo DSs,3 PCs,2 Xboxes and I NEVER have any problems with having to configure every time I turn on the PC. That sounds pretty shitty to have to deal with.

9. I have a some what related question:

is there any way to completely remove or bypass a firewall from a router and a modem? I don't care if I need to do l33t hacks, having 2 firewalls active at once makes port-forwarding a nightmare.

10. “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin