Page 1 of 42 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Futurama Definitely Going Back into cancellation, like it should

1. Futurama Definitely Going Back into cancellation, like it should

OH PLEASE LET THIS END UP HAPPENING!!

Variety reports that talks have begun at 20th Century Fox TV to revive the animated series Futurama, which takes place in the next millennium.

The studio is in early discussions to put Futurama back in production and create a limited number of episodes of the Emmy Award-winning series -- although it's too soon to tell where those episodes might end up, adds the trade.

The final original episode of Futurama aired on Fox in August 2003. But since then, the series has found new life -- and fans -- via DVD releases and repeatedly high-rated airings on the Cartoon Network.

Futurama remains popular enough that Comedy Central even stole away off-net rights to the show's repeats late last year; it will switch to the comedy channel in 2008.

A similar resurgence in interest for Family Guy persuaded 20th Century Fox TV to revive that show, which has produced two seasons of new episodes and a DVD since coming back from the dead. Family Guy now resides as Fox's Sunday 9 p.m. tentpole.

The Simpsons creator Matt Groening and "Simpsons" vet David X. Cohen were behind Futurama, which premiered on Fox in March 1999.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...4&cs=1&s=h&p=0
    Last edited by Jeremy; 04 Jan 2006 at 01:47 PM.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

2. well, this is the same story as family guy... was unjustly canceled, then got on cartoon network and DVD and did well.... they annouce a movie, and now it's possible of a comeback for the show. The thing is though, Family Guy sold WAY more on DVD than Futurama, and it has/had higher CN ratings too. Maybe after the success of Family Guy they'll take the chance, but I think the movie that was announced a long time ago is more likely.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

3. Got any sales numbers for Futurama? As far as I know, it's done really well on DVD, and the movie was never officially announced beyond Billy West saying it was going to happen.

I could see them officially announcing the movie, then using it as a gauge as to whether or not they'll bring the show back. The robot fun collection was also apparently a gauge for interest in the show's resurrection, which probably sold well given its low price.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

I hope they cancel Family Guy again and put Futurama in it's time slot.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

5. I hope they cancel both just to fuck with everybody.

OR

Cancel American Dad, then everybody wins.

6. Source pls.

And thank you God.

7. Variety was listed in the original post (Variety reports...), but I added a link to the Variety article.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    IBTN.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Put Futurama on after The Simpsons or right before Family Guy (perhaps both) and move War at Home to 9:30 and you've got yourself one nice Sunday block of TV. This news had me smiling in the office like some kind of crazed lunatic and I sincerely hope this revives the series. I know some of the writers are probably working elsewhere, but the voice cast shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it? Guaranteed work for the next 2 or 3 years is something most voice actors would die for.

I will be crushed if this doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 04 Jan 2006 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Got any sales numbers for Futurama? As far as I know, it's done really well on DVD, and the movie was never officially announced beyond Billy West saying it was going to happen.

I could see them officially announcing the movie, then using it as a gauge as to whether or not they'll bring the show back. The robot fun collection was also apparently a gauge for interest in the show's resurrection, which probably sold well given its low price.
    Actually, it was officially announced. It stated that everyone was signed on, and if it did well enough, it was in the contract to do TWO more movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    I hope they cancel both just to fuck with everybody.

OR

I disagree... while American Dad had a VERY rocky start, it's definitely come into it's own now, and has become a MUCH better show. It's finally out of the "family guy replacement" stage, and it's own thing now, so it's pretty damn good. THere have been multiple weeks where it was better than that week's family guy episode too.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com