Thread: Wireless Connection...

1. Wireless Connection...

I got my girl a D-Link G122 cuz I was using my laptop and found that she could leech off of peoples wireless in her apartment floor. At first, she got connection and was able to connect without a problem. Now, she has nothing. I dont know if its her end or the connection itself (havent connected with my laptop in awhile). But I have reinstalled D-Links utility over and over hoping that an upgrade to the software would work. Whats messed up was that even though D-Links site stated it was an updated version, it gave me a old software.

So with each upgrade/downgrade, uninstalling and installing, it kept adding new Wireless Network Connections. First it was just "Wireless Network Connection" and now its up to "Wireless Network Connection 10". I dont know if this could be the problem but should I be concerned about it? If so, how do I remove the 9 connections? (maybe the 9 is interferring with the connection?). There are only two icons shown on the bottom right side, the D-Link USB (says Not Connected!) and the "Wireless Network Connection ...10" (monitor with red [X] and wireless icon). Is there suppose to be something else? I dont remember if I saw an icon with bars (reception? something like cingulars thing).

Any suggestions on how to get it working? I suggested her to get broadband service (she has cable wire in the living room) but she keeps saying "soon".

I might have to bring my laptop to her apartment to see if its her end or just the connection.
    Last edited by bandit; 07 Jan 2006 at 12:06 AM.

2. sooo... you're asking why she can't hop onto other peoples networks anymore?

3. lol.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    sooo... you're asking why she can't hop onto other peoples networks anymore?
    If that's the case, the easy answer is that those who had open wireless connections wisened up and put some sort of protection on their networks with a WPA/WEP password, or set them up to only accept connections from certain devices via their MAC addresses. If you're not picking up their signals anymore, then they probably also changed their SSID and are no longer broadcasting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0r
    lol.
    Agreed.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. If you phone a local ISP and order their service legitamtely your problems should be ironed out. You may also need a wireless router.
    Quote Originally Posted by remnant
    I live in the fastlane bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Thats how we roll, ride or die bitch.

6. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    sooo... you're asking why she can't hop onto other peoples networks anymore?
    No. The connection is there. I just need help with the USB Wireless adapter. I dont know if her dad did anything while using the computer or did something to the setting which is why its not connecting. Hence my question regarding the multiple Wireless Network Connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    If that's the case, the easy answer is that those who had open wireless connections wisened up and put some sort of protection on their networks with a WPA/WEP password, or set them up to only accept connections from certain devices via their MAC addresses. If you're not picking up their signals anymore, then they probably also changed their SSID and are no longer broadcasting it.
    There is no WPA/WEP. Its unsecured.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbits
    If you phone a local ISP and order their service legitamtely your problems should be ironed out. You may also need a wireless router.
    Really? No honestly..really?! Do you sense the sarcasm? She has AOL for free for god knows how long (forever?). Shes barely home as she is at my house pratically everyday so there is no need to be paying $50-100 a month for something shes going to hardly use.
    Last edited by bandit; 07 Jan 2006 at 05:36 PM.