Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macworld San Francisco 2006

Macworld San Francisco 2006

Anyone following so far? Imac with Intel Core Duo. Same design, which is disappointing, but oh well. Hmmmmm.

Live updates:

http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/
    I took all your French Toast.

2. I like the current Imac design. Will they still update osx for the old macs though? I got the imac g5.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

Heres a slightly fuller transcript. IN REVERSE ORDER!

# 10:41am - Thank you so much for coming today and learning about our new products, they're all out in the booth, go get your hands on them. Thank you very much, see you soon.
    # 10:40am - What that means is that Apple will be 30 years old this April fools day. I just wanted to point it out, thirty years making the best personal computers in the world.
    # 10:40am - One last thing. You know, Apple was founded on April fools day in 1976. We thought that was funny at the time.
    # 10:40am - *backpats the engineers and asks them to stand up*
    # 10:39am - Plays ad: "The Intel Processor, for years, it's been trapped inside dull little boxes, performing dull little tasks. *snip* Today i twill be set free, it will get to live life inside a Mac. Imagine the possibilities.
    # 10:37am - $1999 model 1.6 core duo, 667 mhz FSB, 512mb, 80gb SATA, 4x superdrive, X1600 ATI, 1.67ghz. $2499 model, 1.83ghz Core Du, 1gb, 100gb SATA. Ships in February. Taking orders today.
    # 10:37am - iSight, apple remote, front row, magsafe, backlight keyboard and light sensor, scrolling trackpad, sudden motion sensor, DVI video out for a 30 inch cinema display if you want, digital optical and analog audio in/out
    # 10:36am - MacBook Pro weighs 5.6lb
    # 10:35am - And another great feature, the IR sensor and the apple remote. Front Row built right in to the new MacBook pro. Another really cool feature. We call this MagSafe. How many of you have ever had your notebook go flying off your work surface when someone caught the power adapter on their foot. The MagSafe connector is a new power connector that is magnetically held in, so if the cord gets yanked it just pulls right off.
    # 10:33am - *demo while mwsf creams his shorts wanting a macbook pro*
    # 10:32am - Also the thinnest, an inch thin, a hair thinner than the 17" powerbook. New features, 15.4 widescreen LCD. Bright as the cinema display. Built-in iSight
    # 10:32am - 4-5x times faster than the Powerbook G4. Fastest mac notebook ever.
    # 10:31am - A new name because we're kind of done with power and we want mac in the name of our products. Has an intel Core Duo chip in it. Dual processors in every MacBook Pro.
    # 10:30am - The core duo was deisnged for this from the start, 1.05. It is 4 and a half times better than the G4. Today we are introducing a new notebook computer, called the MacBook Pro.
    # 10:30am - If you take a look, at the G4 chip, you have 0.27 performance per watt. The G5 is 0.23 performance per watt. It kept us from doing what we wanted to.
    # 10:29am - You know, there's been this pesky little problem on the powerbooks. It's not a secret that we've been trying to shoehorn a G5 into the powerbook. And have been unable to do so because of the power consumption. We've done everything. We've consulted everybody (shows picture of the Pope). Performance per Watt.
    # 10:29am - One more thing.
    # 10:27am - We are going to be transitioning our entire product line this calendar year. We will be done transitioning by the end of this calendar year. *plays ad*
    # 10:26am - So, two models of the new iMac, 17" with a 1.83ghz CoreDuo. 20" model with 2.0ghz CoreDuo. These machines, 2-3 times faster in the SPEC benchmarks, and they are shipping TODAY.
    # 10:25am - *shows how fast Safari is on new machines*
    # 10:24am - *Launching Word and Photoshop*
    # 10:23am - Steve: I would encourage all the developers to work even harder and get these apps universal. *demo on CORE DUO GOODNESS*
    # 10:22am - We're marking another milestone with Apple. We're formalizing our commitment to this platform with an official agreement to ship new versions of Office for mac for a minimum of 5 years.
    # 10:21am - We'll be adding sync services, finishing touches on smartcard and spotlight support. All of these updates will be available in March. We are offering customers up to 50% off of Office when you buy a new Mac.
    # 10:20am - Roz Ho of Mac BU: I'm happy to say that Microsoft's MBU is on track to deliver universal binaries of office and messenger.We've worked together to make sure current versions of office run well in Rosetta.
    # 10:19am - Until all apps are universal, we are shipping a technology called Rosetta, which runs most PowerPC applications completely transparently. Office is not yet universal, but it runs fabulous on Rosetta
    # 10:18am - We didn't tell any developer we were releasing systems today. Because we like a good secret as much as the next person. Quark has announced next version of Quark Express is universal.
    # 10:18am - Our pro apps will be universal in march. Final cut, aperture and logic pro. If you have the latest and greatest, you can trade in the disks for just $49
    # 10:17am - New products released today are both completel Universal. In fact, you just saw them running on intel, because I've been using a new iMac with core duo all morning.
    # 10:16am - Every iMac is now dual proprocessor. Tiger 10.4.4 is entirely native on Intel core duo. All the applications are copletely native. Everything apple is doing is what we call universal.
    # 10:15am - iMac G5 2.1ghz vs. iMac Core Duo 2.0ghz. Specfp: 13.0 on G5, 27.1 on Core Duo
    # 10:14am - What's different is that the new iMac with intel processor is 2-3 times faster than the iMac G5. That is because we are building in the latest technology, the new intel core duo chip. It's an amzing chip with two processors on one die, with 2mb L2 cache.
    # 10:14am - iMac has gotten rave reviews. We're going to offer it in the same sizes. Same design, same features, same prices.. What's new?
    # 10:12am - Today we are going to roll out the first mac with an Intel processor. So without any more fanfare, it is the iMac.
    # 10:11am - "So we wanted to use some of the new technology you are rolling out this year. So, a little haead of schedule."< /li>
    # 10:11am - "over 1000 people at Intel working on this"
    # 10:10am - Well I can report to you that Apple is ready, too. We started a partnership less than a year ago to make this happen. Our teams have worked so hard together, nights weekends, to make this happen in record time.
    # 10:09am - We announced that by June we would e shipping macs with intel processers. *bunny suit guy enters* Paul Otellini in suit: "Steve I want to report that Intel is ready. *hands steve silicone wafer*"
    # 10:08am - Computer hardware: started the year over 1 million a quarter, and we did better every quarter after that. The biggest news this year was that we were going to shift to use Intel processors in our macs.
    # 10:08am - iWork retails for US$79, US$99 in 5-count family pack
    # 10:07am - You've seen Keynote and Pages. I want to give you a bit of an overview. 3d charts, advanced image editing, image reflections,freeform shapes and masks, tables with calculation, new themes and templates.
    # 10:07am - .Mac is really taking off.1 million subscribers. There's one other product, iWork.
    # 10:06am - iLife available today. US$79 as always. US$99 family pack for 5 computers, comes free on all new computers.
    # 10:05am - So iWeb, your digital photography, video assets, favorite music, journals, blogs podcasts
    # 10:03am - *continues the omg iweb is really cool demo*
    # 9:55am - iWeb will let you do it simply and easily. Apple designed templates, ilife media browser, online photo albums, blogs and podcasts, one-click publishing to .Mac, and it's really easy to use. When you're done creating a website you push one button and it automatically publishes to .Mac
    # 9:54am - There's apps out there that let you build websites. There are some that are easy to use, but make ugly websites. There are some that create BEAUTIFUL websites but are hard to use.
    # 9:54am - iWeb: Today, we are introducing a 6th app in the iLife suite, to allow us to do that. We're introducing a new app that allows us to share photos, movies, video podcasts, share taste in music, blogs and other types of podcast.
    # 9:53am - 5 apps, all great. We want to share these things, increasingly we want to share them over the internet.
    # 9:52am - We have a new jampack we're announcing today, World Music
    # 9:52am - Steve thinks it's cool
    # 9:49am - "Hi, I'm steve. Welcome to my weekly podcast. Super secet apple rumors..." *etc etc*"
    # 9:48am - You can use iChat to record interviews through Garageband for remote interviews.
    # 9:47am - Over 200 royaly free sound effects, 200 royalty free jingles. We've added a ducking effect, automatically lowers the soundtrack under your voice and raises it when you're done. Speech enhancer, so you can make your microphone sound terrific.
    # 9:47am - Next up is Garageband. I'm going to focus on one thing to demo today. We've added a podcast studio to Garageband. It's going to be the best tool in the world to create Podcasts.
    # 9:46am - New themes, improved slideshows, enhanced map view editing, third party DVD burners supported.
    # 9:46am - When you want to make a DVD and don't have time, you can bring up Magic iDVD and choose a theme, drop your movies in, photos in, photo albums in.. You push a button to create a project and push another button and it makes the DVD for you.
    # 9:45am - iDVD: added widescreen menus now, so you can make widescreen DVDs. something new called Magic iDVD
    # 9:43am - Jobs thinks it is pretty amazing. Shows EVEN MORE themes.
    # 9:40am - iMovie: Added HD last year, was the right move. Adding animated themes. Realtime effects in titles, audio tools, sound effects, open more than one project at once. Export to iPod. Can create video Podcasts as well
    # 9:39am - Photos update immediately in your subscriber's subscription when you make the changes in iPhoto
    # 9:38am - All she has to do is click on this, and boom, it launches iPhoto, puts the subscribed album here and puts the photos in it. What is so great about this is that you can take one of these things and do anything with it. Make a card again, boom. I can make a card with one of these things.
    # 9:38am - So all I have to do is click this photocast button here, I can decide the quality, actual size, or smaller. I can automatically update the album, set username and passwords. When I'd like to announce my photocast, I say sure. It sends an email.
    # 9:33am - You must be a .Mac member to publish, but ANYONE can subscribe with RSS.
    # 9:32am - What happens is if I've got some photos and I drop them into an album into photocast, they are automatically uploaded to .Mac, and anyone subscribed to those will get the changes downloaded to their subscription album. They can use those photos for anything they want, cards, desktop.
    # 9:31am - And someone can subscribe to this photocast, and when they do, they get a special album in their sourcelist.
    # 9:30am - And, photocasting. We want to all share our photos. And increasingly we'd like to share them over the internet. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to do that where everytime I update an album full of photos, people who could scubscribe to that would automatically get theirs updated as well? You can ever say I want a password on these things.
    # 9:30am - And, we've added cards. Lost of requests for this. We have postcards as well.
    # 9:28am - All new cards, calendars, and dramatically better books. We have all new printing, much higher quality.
    # 9:28am - You can use the fullscreen for doing compares, up to 8 photos at once. One-click effects. There's an effects panels now with 8 of the most popular effects.
    # 9:27am - Prior release of iPhoto, was limited to 25,000 photos. The new limit, 250,000 photos. It scrolls like butter. Full-screen editing
    # 9:26am - And we're now introducing iLife 06, and it's a giant release. iLife is comprised of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, garageband and iTunes. Lets start with iPhoto
    # 9:25am - Now, I'd like to talk about iLife. Apple pioneered writing applications specifically for our emergicing digital lifestyles. We were talking before anybody else about how all your pictures, your movies, your music was going to be on your computer.
    # 9:25am - We've got a new update, 10.4.4. You can download it today.
    # 9:25am - A new google widget, a new frontend to address book, a new widget in time for the ski season for snow conditions, a new calendar widget, white pages, ESPN sports widgets and news.
    # 9:24am - We decided we better do our own to contribute.
    # 9:23am - Another thing I now want to talk about is widgets. When we introduced Mac OS X tiger this last spring, we introduced the idea of widgets. There are now tons of widgets.
    # 9:20am - *Showing a long Aperture video*
    # 9:20am -I'm going to start off with a very important application we introduced called Aperture. We see Aperture as being the tool for digital photographers in the same way final cut pro is for filmmakers.
    # 9:16am -We're also introducing a new accessory for your iPod today. It's a remote control that's also an FM tuner. It's a little thing that clips on your clothing anywhere you like.
    # 9:15am - Rose bowl is #1 clip on iTunes. Putting up more stuff today from Saturday Night Live.
    # 9:13am - "I'm showing off some new keynote features here too. *laughs*" TV shows on iTunes are hot. We started selling TV shows about 90 days ago. Sold 8M videos. Last week, for the first time, we added some sports. Bowl Games, Plays Rosebowl clip.
    # 9:12am - iTunes update. Sold 850M song on iTMS. Well on the way to hitting 1B. Selling 3M per day. Market share is still very strong, around 83%
    # 9:11am - I'm pleased to announce today we sold 14 million ipods last quarter. Tat is over 100 every minute 24x7 throughout the whole quarter. It still wasn't enough!
    # 9:10am - Retail stores had their first Billion dollar quarter, Apple did 5.7B
    # 9:08am - Good morning and welcome to Macworld, we've got a lot of great stuff for you today. So I want to start off with a retail update, tell you how we did in apple retail stores. You know we've got 135 retail stores now, and these are just the best place to buy not only a Mac and an iPod but any product in the world. And I am really pleased to announce that last quarter, we had 26 million visitors during the holiday season to our stores.
    # 9:06am - Notice: Program about to begin.
    # 9:03am - *iTunes music while waiting for the Keynote to begin* (Seal - Kiss from a Rose)
    # 9:00am - Scheduled start of expo keynote: "Announcer: Welcome to MacWorld 2006. *various announcements for seating*

Sweet. Thanks Josh.

I really want the Powerbook, but prolly gonna wait until the second revision. Want to see user experiences first.

Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    I like the current Imac design. Will they still update osx for the old macs though? I got the imac g5.

I like the design too, but with something so new added to the system...I'd like some sort of exterior change to match up. Ya know? *shrugs

6. macbook

I am pretty dissappointed... They released the Macbook Pro.. Instead of the ibook..

Its a snappy machine, its just about 1000$ over my budget..

They said the powerbook line is over, does that mean that the ibook line will continue?

Any thoughts?
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

7. Thoughts, hm. I'm at first disappointed that they don't have a $999 or under Intel laptop as planned, and no Intel Mac mini as rumored. On the bright side, the MacBook Pro looks pretty damn awesome, it has nice specs for the price (for Apple, anyway). I'm also let down that they didn't release a new deign for the iMac. This is a big change for them, I figured some sexy new architecture would be in store for the change.

Looks like I'll be waiting for the second gen Intel machines, I guess. Like Chemist, I wanted something of the iBook price range with an Intel processor for college next year. Hopefully something will come out by the end of this fall.

8. stupid, i was also waiting for an ibook upgrade...

9. I wanted a cheap intel Mac laptop. Oh well maybe next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

10. Damn, i would say Apple let down TNL..
    Most of use wanted an ibook Intel, and they gave us a new powerbook..
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers