Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Macworld San Francisco 2006

1. Will this change to intel cpus make gaming more available on the mac platform?
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

2. Quote Originally Posted by dakidski
    Will this change to intel cpus make gaming more available on the mac platform?
    The CPU isn't what has been holding gaming back on Macs. It's DirectX and OpenGL. People are hoping that game companies will begin to use OpenGL more, as it is easier to port between systems and DirectX is just horribly complicated and just needs to be supported by everyone. The reason OpenGL is used on Macs is because it is OPEN (FREE). Another thing people are pulling for is that Windows will be able to be installed on Macs now, which will allow DirectX with no complications. So really, there is a 50-50 chance on games becoming more prevailent on Macs.

3. now assuming there isn't code out there that really benefits a dual core design.....
    suddenly, the Imacs with 2Ghz dual cores are 2x-3x times faster than SAME Imac with 2.1 G5 ????

where did the superiority of G5 design go? and you can't say it's the dual cores because like i stated, there isn't yet software or an OS that clearly takes advantage of the extra core. seems like Apple lied about thir old cpu's spanking Intel all this time.

i'm not trying to make this a pc vs mac debate, i'm just saying something seems rather fishy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4600442.stm
    "Apple has announced that all iMac G5 computers shipped from 10 January will be powered by Intel's dual processor.

The machines will be the first of the Mac computer family to benefit from the switch to Intel chip technology.

Company boss Steve Jobs has also launched a newly branded Mac laptop called the MacBook Pro; it too will come with an Intel processor.

The new generation of iMac would be two to three times faster than the current iMac G5, he said.

The MacBook Pro would be four to five times as fast as the current PowerBook G4, Mr Jobs told Macworld in San Francisco. "

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    where did the superiority of G5 design go? and you can't say it's the dual cores because like i stated, there isn't yet software or an OS that clearly takes advantage of the extra core. seems like Apple lied about thir old cpu's spanking Intel all this time.
    The G5 is getting pretty old, but when they were first released, they wiped the floor with any Pentium chip.
    The Core Duo is based on a different architecture (Yonah, I think), which is far superior to any of Intel's Pentium chips.

Oh, and that news blurb you quoted is full of inaccuracies.
    EDIT: okay, I guess it's just this:
    Apple has announced that all iMac G5 computers shipped from 10 January will be powered by Intel's dual processor.
    That doesn't make any sense. iMac G5s will most certainly not ship with intel chips, and G5 iMacs will be sold alongside x86 iMacs for at least a couple of months.
    Last edited by kedawa; 11 Jan 2006 at 06:23 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    Oh, and that news blurb you quoted is full of inaccuracies.
    sorry to hear that. kil the writer