Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: <Game Title> is (going) out of print/has a low print run.

1. The best person here to ask about this topic is D_N_G. He has saved me so much goddamn money in buying titles at release, and watch them become OMFGR@RE.

And you can try the Digital Press forums. This is a regular topic of discussion over there.

2. Quote Originally Posted by sedition
    is the original steel battalion worth picking up used for ~$100?
    Yes.

3. Quote Originally Posted by neoalphazero
    Blood Will Tell PS2 is another Sega game (like Spikeout) that seemed to get a low print run. *-neo
    Picked it up for $10 at a flea market, they have a ton of them, all brand new. That's not to say that you can walk into any EB/GS and buy one of course.

It is a decent game to boot, although it does get monotonous after a couple of hours.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rocca
    And I think it's fairly easy to recognize which games will become rarities and which games will not. Just look at the kind of market you have around you and you should figure it out. Usually obscure Eastern made games get left out of the cut (unless it's Final Fantasy).
    Yeah seriously. If you couldn't guess that a quirky Japanese game about lawyering wouldn't get a big print run, there's just no helping you.

General rules of thumb:
    -Niche titles will generally only get one or two printings in their lifetime. If they're generating a healthy buzz on forums, they're already well on their way to being sold out.

-Japanese games will generally see less reprints, because the company has less cost to recoup on a translation than they would on a game made for our market. They made back their development money in the Japanese market, anything here is pretty much icing. If it sells out, that's likely to be well enough for the publisher; reprinting would reintroduce the possibility of a bunch of unsold copies.

-If a title is on a handheld, add 20% likelihood of rarity.

-If a title has a Japanese release that is playable with little knowledge of Japanese, it's only really as rare as the sum of both territories' copies.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 11 Jan 2006 at 09:41 AM.

Can any retail workers comment on the availability of Mario DDR? I have yet to see it in a store (I never looked when it was new). I am somewhat interested in a car accident kind of way.

6. It was pulled due to hardware problems, or so I heard.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    But I still see TONS of copies of Trauma Center and Trace Memory everywhere.
    Those 2 games had a larger print run and/or less consumer demand.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Can any retail workers comment on the availability of Mario DDR? I have yet to see it in a store (I never looked when it was new). I am somewhat interested in a car accident kind of way.
    Can't speak for every region, but it's been impossible to find since shortly after release here (Southern NJ). It's actually kind of fun, if just a wee bit wacky. My favorite level is the one were they are paddling down a river on a raft and they lose their oars so they have to start dancing. It's not as "good" as a real DDR game, but it is a lot of anyway.
    This is MY world, I just let you all live in it.
    http://membres.lycos.fr/stationsig/Segafanclub.gif
    "Although it did not become the fatal wound, it owed the minor burn..."
    "The intellectual pleasant sensation that is adjusted taste freely to detail the operation system which rubs the impression of production and the existing game which adhered, leads synopsis of drama to conclusion with prayer itself inference power and insight"
    I love babelfish.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Go to Best Buy.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. I don't think Trama Center will be rare; I see it at Wal*Mart and Best Buy all the time.

Handheld games are worth $$? Why is it nobody ever talks about rare Gameboy games? Alot of GBA games will surprise you; Double Dragon, River City Ransom EX, and Lunar can be had for cheap.
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png