Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Snaking" in Mario Kart DS, unfair?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    Ah, so that's how 'those guys' get 100 wins and 10 losses. But I don't even do this. I grind on corners a lot or boost when coming out out of a long drift. But I thought snaking referred to the little boost your kart after carefully riding behind someone's Kart and "absorbing" their trail/sparks. So what is that called now?
    Slip-Streaming. 18 Wheeler had it too.
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

2. Drafting, cool. Thnx for clarifying. And i forgot the term slipstreaming too, duh.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 16 Jan 2006 at 10:34 PM.

3. It wasn't intentionally ut in by the developers. It's a side effect that they didn't care to fix.

4. Glad to know u are inside the heads of Konno's dev team members.

I don't snake in straightaways, although I have been known to do multiple boosts in a single turn. I CAN snake in the straights now (not good at it, but I can do it) but I agree that it's just not as much fun. It's easier to hang back to second or third place on purpose, let the snakers do their thing, and then nail them with the inevitable shell or star that you're going to get.

But that doesn't mean it should be taken out. If you want to snake, go right ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    No no no a thousand times no. Do you think anybody ever "played down to my level" when I was starting out in CounterStrike? Or Warcraft III? You go online, you get owned, you have some respect for yourself, and you learn the damn thing. This is the way it works - if your ego cant handle it, you shouldn't be playing games online. Only on a system as stupid and kiddy as the DS can people expect fellow online gamers to "play down to their level".
    I kinda agree with DiffX (as much as I loath the idea). Not about the DS being kiddy but about people going easy. Since I have been playing DOA4 online I have been progressing. When I first started playing I was getting raped online but I didn't whine about it, I got better. Them's the breaks of online gaming. As stated earlier snaking isn't cheating but it is cheesy.

7. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl
    I kinda agree with DiffX (as much as I loath the idea). Not about the DS being kiddy but about people going easy. Since I have been playing DOA4 online I have been progressing. When I first started playing I was getting raped online but I didn't whine about it, I got better. Them's the breaks of online gaming. As stated earlier snaking isn't cheating but it is cheesy.
    But if you someone drops you in DOA4, you can look up their gamertag and leave them negative feedback. There's no such check in the DS online infrastructure. Is that ideal? Of course not, but it's all that's there to work with. Until it changes, racing far above others' levels will translate to you getting dropped more often than not. If you're okay with putting in a lot of time and ending up with little to nothing to show for it, go for it.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 16 Jan 2006 at 11:28 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    But if you someone drops you in DOA4, you can look up their gamertag and leave them negative feedback. There's no such check in the DS online infrastructure. Is that ideal? Of course not, but it's all that's there to work with. Until it changes, racing far above others' levels will translate to you getting dropped more often than not. If you're okay with putting in a lot of time and ending up with little to nothing to show for it, go for it.
    That's Nintendo's fault for making the online setup shitty. I'd rather play something else than have to play down to someone because they'll probably drop on me with no consequences.

9. But droppers now at least get counted a loss. Here's hoping for a real lobby system in Hunters.

10. People who bitch about snaking are the same folks who consider throws in Street Fighter 2 cheating. Learn to play the game.

I find the idea of "playing down to your competition" insulting. I don't care what the game is. I play my hardest, at all times, and I expect nothing less in return. If you're good enough to beat me by 3/4 of a lap, I damn well expect you to do it.

I can't snake very well yet -- that's my fault. When a snaker with a 411-50 record whupped my ass last night, it was nothing but a well-deserved victory. Clearly, if I want to win, I need to sharpen my skills. That's what games are all about.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.