Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Cheap Anime" Thread

1. The "Cheap Anime" Thread

After the last two orders I made from the Right Stuf, I thought this would be a good idea. See, TRSI seems to always enjoy putting older titles and individual discs that are now in thinpaks on a heavy, heavy discount. Using these discounts, I've either finished or nearly finished several series of which I had gaping holes. Now, they can't be the only ones doing this, yes?

So, my idea is, post DVDs that you're missing from an otherwise complete series and we can help each other find them, whether they be on a site or from our own personal anime nerd libraries.

Just so everyone knows, the last few Abenobashi, Azumanga, Cosmo Warrior Zero, and Risky Safety DVDs are what I used to fill in my gaps. If you need them, the Right Stuf has 'em for under $10 each.

I'll post some requests in a bit, but otherwise post some of your own and maybe we can help each other out!

And, yes, I'm well aware that most just download anime. Well aware. A very good friend of mine is very big with the main Otakon crowd and he hasn't purchased a single DVD in many, many years. It's very common. I don't need to be reminded.

2. That's freakin' awesome. Thanks for the tip.
    Donk

3. That site is awesome, lots of anime that are $15 or under that I'll definitely pick up soon. The only thing I hate is that they only have the the first of the individual Blue Seed set.
    All is well.

4. the DVD Talk forum usually has a monthly thread listing deals for cheap anime. without it, i would never have known that Planetes vol.2 was $12 at Best Buy.

DVD Talk Anime Bargains Thread - Jan

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Victor
    the DVD Talk forum usually has a monthly thread listing deals for cheap anime. without it, i would never have known that Planetes vol.2 was $12 at Best Buy.

O_O MUST. GET. NOW.
    Donk

6. Vol. 4 was only 16.99 when I picked it up there, too.

Did Chao ask that we fill each others holes? Jesus.

Best Buy had the first volume of Kodocha for $11.99. Now, I don't know if any of you've seen Kodocha (Kodomo no Orocha) but it's fantastic. It's a school drama/over the top comedy about a female child star who is one of my favorite characters that I've come across in a long time.

However, be warned, the dvd has some issues:

1) they couldn't get the rights to the original theme or anything having to do with the artist who performed it (Tokio) and therefore they use the theme from the second season,

2) but certain other issues arise because of this, such as if the theme is played in the background then all sound is removed; it happens only once or twice for just 3 or 4 seconds but it kind of sucks - plus the previews have that theme playing in the background, so no sound,

3) in one of the places where that second issue takes place, Sana (the main character) actually runs into the guy that sings the song and when they're talking, the subtitles have to X out his name and the group's name.

4) Sana calls her manager her pimp in the subtitles, but the word is changed in the dub.

These aren't huge issues really, even though most of it is irritating. So I bought the bootlegs of the series to compare and here's what I found:

1) the subtitles are actually good overall, and in several places a bit nastier, in a funny way, but there are many cases of Japanglish ("You are a coward! A VERY coward!") which actually made me laugh so no harm done, however they ruined a certain joke regarding the saying "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" which wasn't ruined in the US dvd, and that made me kind of sad

2) they didn't translate the previews at all, so you're left with no subtitles in the previews (which is funny because there are subs on the US dvds but no sound, and then here no subs but sound)

Anyway, enough rambling.
    Last edited by Scourge; 23 Jan 2006 at 11:50 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Vol. 4 was only 16.99 when I picked it up there, too.
    amazingly vol.3 is still like $25. and vol.4 doesn't come with the nice looking slipcase. boo to bandai! ;_;

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Victor
    and vol.4 doesn't come with the nice looking slipcase. boo to bandai! ;_;
    I know. I was incensed when I saw that.

Bestbuy.com is having a special on a bunch of complete collections:
    Buy 2, Save $5
    It's not much, but they've got the lowest prices on these sets to begin with.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 23 Jan 2006 at 06:28 PM.

10. The cheapest anime deal I've seen is 3 for $10 used anime DVDs at Gamestop, via the CAG boards. Then there's the stuff at Big Lots for $4 (mainly Geneon releases), like early Lupin DVDs and some Saber Marionette ones.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan