Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: "Love it or hate it" games

1. I usually end up disliking it. Usually it's gimmicky trash or has one really great quality that ends up blinding hardcore gamers to its vast weaknesses. So hate it. Morrowind was great, but even that well ran dry for me pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Just because its different does not make it good. Hated it.
    Shenmue1/2, Killer 7, PNO3

Crap is crap no matter how "innovative" it may be.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

3. Dunno. I think it's probably pretty even, depending on who's saying the "love or hate it" thing.

4. Love it. Games that try strange, unique, or just very "different" things, are for the most part more immediately appealing to me than games that stray the beaten path. Which is not to say I don't love traditional experiences, but yeah.

Except PN03.

That was some shit.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

5. I always seem to be on the love side. I feel that I am often more forgiving towards games that try something different. Alot of times I find myself even enjoying games that are considered garbage like Marvel Nemesis.

6. It's 50/50 for me.

REZ is a title that seems to fit into this category. Some blow it off as a stupid shooter, but I can appreciate the artistry of the graphics and a soundtrack that just fits it to a t.

Marrowind just didn't do it for me. Granted, I only played the game on my PC for about 2 hours and became frustrated with it's slow pace and first person battle system. I'm hoping to give it another try, but there are so many other games that I'd rather play.

Ring of Red is a pretty cool strategy game. Some were turned off by it's battle system, but I found it to be quite unique.

I do have quite a list of games that fit into this category as well.

Loved: Shenmue 1&2, Viewtiful Joe,Shadow Hearts, Jetgrind Radio and Space Channel 5.

Mixed on: Gungrave, Sega GT, Gunvalkyrie, Evolution and Suikoden 3

Hated: Stretch Panic and Billy Hatcher

Have yet to play (but own): Disaster Report, Seaman, PNO3 and Fantavision.

7. I actually usually fall into the "liked it" category for those games, being able to see both sides (Rez, P.N.03, Marrowind [the bone RPG]). There are very few games I *love* (Shenmue is one) though I probably throw the word around more than I should. ::looks at sig::

8. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    I suppose every game has its lovers and haters but what I'm talking about are games that tend to be described as "love it or hate it" because people's opinions on them tend to be much more polarized than the average game(like Killer 7, Shenmue, PN03, Morrowind, for example).

In general, when a game gets described as "love it or hate it" or "not for everyone" which side do you find yourself on more often? For me, I have a strong leaning towards the "love it" side for games described this way.

*edit - this was a poll but I guess it got screwed up.
    I think more often than not I fall into the love it category. I haven't really played Killer 7 because it looks like japanese weirdness for the sake of weirdness with no gameplay, I liked Shenmue, I loved PN03, I loved Morrowind. Love it or hate it games usually have a glaring flaw and a lot of great qualities outside that one big flaw. Unless that glaring flaw is no gameplay, or awful gameplay, I can usually hang in there. High level of difficulty, controls that take getting used to, open ended to a fault, glaring "flaws" like that I find endearing.

I have different attitudes depending on the genre.

I tend to love shmups of any sort. I even bought the domestic release of Chaos Field and didn't regret it (or return it). Despite Nanostray's wonky touchscreen weapon selection, I'm still happily plowing my way through the challenges.

On the other side of things, I have an undying hatred for the conventions of JRPGs. Very, very, VERY few JRPGs hold my interest. Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne is the only recent one to do so. And I can think of maybe one or two others (Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land and Kingdom Hearts) from this entire generation that also kept me playing.

Western RPGs get more rational treatment. I'm a real snob when it comes to skill systems and conversation options and tend to pick apart every game. The previously mentioned Morrowind is an oddball - the skill system breaks down horribly at higher levels and there's nearly no character development thanks to the cookie-cutter dialogue. But despite that, exploring the world is an absolute joy and there's a great deal of satisfaction to be had from completing the metric tonne of quests. I've had Oblivion on pre-order since early last year.

But as for other genres, I tend to admire innovation even when it goes awry - hence why I like Battalion Wars despite the dumb AI and very limited unit commands. I'm not a fan of games that are well-polished but don't attempt anything new. Metroid Prime 2 felt too much like a glorified expansion pack for me to finish it. The ammo flaws (seriously, who decided it was a good idea to only provide ammo for the weapon NOT being used?!) and the navigation issues (it isn't fun to spend 15 minutes trekking somehwhere only to discover an impassable wall to the next area, even if the map swears the room has connections on both sides) only serve to further lower the game's appeal.