Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "Love it or hate it" games

1. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen
    Wrong. Breakdown is cheap because of the shoddy game design. The first-person hand-to-hand combat is clunky and largely ineffective against the enemies you're forced to use it on.
    The basic movement is clunky but the combat is neither clunky nor ineffective, especially since you're specifically given moves that counter every available attack from the enemies. I suggest learning the control scheme.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    The basic movement is clunky but the combat is neither clunky nor ineffective, especially since you're specifically given moves that counter every available attack from the enemies. I suggest learning the control scheme.
    Bullshit. You can counter all you like that it's me whose the problem, but it's not. The game has bad controls. You're not given moves that counter other moves, you're given the a shitty block button that requires you to keep the analog pressed in. This is fine in short bursts, but when you're sitting through some a-holes combo it gets tiring and boring. The hand-to-hand combat in this game is crap. Period. No amount of wishful thinking on your part will change this. Try to cope.

I should also mention the shooting portions aren't much better. You can't effectively make use of cover, and the enemy is unforgiving when it comes to riddling you with bullets. The system boils down to you running through the area, blocking till they're reloading, then trying to shoot them before they start shooting you again. Since the blocking system is so clunky and the enemies are so cheap with their shots, you still end up taking oddles of damage. The game provides you with a limited amount of junk food to keep you limping along fron checkpoint to checkpoint, but it's guaranteed you'll be redoing the most hectic parts until you get lucky, which isn't often.

The game is shit.
    Last edited by g0zen; 31 Jan 2006 at 03:09 AM.
    Time for a change

3. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen
    Bullshit. You can counter all you like that it's me whose the problem, but it's not. The game has bad controls. Period. No amount of wishful thinking on your part will change this. Try to cope.
    Funny, wasn't very difficult to beat on Hard. Must be those clumsy controls that allowed me to whoop so much ass, reflect numerous moves, quickly dodge attacks, and break necks. Man, I hate it when coping means I actually learned how to play a game.

The gunplay wasn't as well done as it should've been, I'll definately give you that.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Funny, wasn't very difficult to beat on Hard. Must be those clumsy controls that allowed me to whoop so much ass, reflect numerous moves, quickly dodge attacks, and break necks. Man, I hate it when coping means I actually learned how to play a game.
    You learned how to play a shitty game. Congrats. Doesn't change the fact that the game is still shit.
    Time for a change

5. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen
    I should also mention the shooting portions aren't much better. You can't effectively make use of cover, and the enemy is unforgiving when it comes to riddling you with bullets. The system boils down to you running through the area, blocking till they're reloading, then trying to shoot them before they start shooting you again. Since the system is so clunky, you end up taking oddles of damage. The game provides you with a limited amount of junk food to keep you limping along fron checkpoint to checkpoint, but it's guaranteed you'll end up redoing the most hectic parts until you get lucky, which isn't often.
    LOL You have no clue how to play, quit pretending it's DMC where you can wade into enemies and plow through everything. Enemies fire in specific bursts with pauses in between, they can be lured into wasting clips whereupon you can blow them away with no problem (hint: walls are your friend), and the lock-on ensures it's twice as simple as it otherwise would be. Since you don't know how to use the controls you took oodles of damage. There are only three hard parts of the game, one of which can be run past and another is simple once you learn the pattern. The last one does take some effort, planning, and a whole lot of skill.

Luck isn't needed. Trust me, I've beaten the game a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by g0zen
    You learned how to play a shitty game. Congrats. Doesn't change the fact that the game is still shit.
    Quit whining because you sucked at it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Quit whining because you sucked at it.
    LOL, you can keep rationalizing and blaming me for the problems but I know what happened. The controls are garbage. The lock-ons don't help when there's seven guys and I'm trying to shoot one and akwardly side-step back behind the wall. I took damage because they catch you peeking, always.

Perhaps I did get bored at some point and started getting more careless, but that doesn't mean the game is any better. In fact, I'd say that means its worse.

I've yet to see you try to defend the Jeep jump. I really want to though, because that part is entirely luck, and saying any different is horseshit and will only show how delusional you are.
    Time for a change

7. The lock-ons don't help when there's seven guys and I'm trying to shoot one and akwardly side-step back behind the wall. I took damage because they catch you peeking, always.
    Yes it does as the lock-on goes through walls. I know you've played FPS' before, and considering that the soldiers in Breakdown don't move very much it's not hard to figure out. They run to a specific spot and camp out, just make each one waste ammo and pick him off at your leisure, never showing more of yourself then you need to.

Crouching and firing in bursts helps the aiming.
    I've yet to see you try to defend the Jeep jump.
    Are you referring to a double jump out of the Jeep or something else? I'm pretty hazy on whatever it was so it couldn't have taken much effort if I don't remember it. A collapsed bridge and you leapt or something?

p.s. I love you.

8. I know it's not a 'love it/hate it' game in the sense that there's dispute over it's quality, but I just can't get into any of the Tony Hawk games.

9. I don't think that really qualifies as the proper subject matter. See what g0zen and I have going on up there, with total polarizing viewpoints? The games which elicit that sort of response from most people with very little middle-of-the-road is what we're after.

10. MechDeus= Yeah. About the closest game I can think of that does that is SvC Chaos, and I am just about the only person here that genuinely likes the game.