Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Custom Joystick Design

  1. Custom Joystick Design

    In preparation for the upcoming Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and King of Fighters XI for the Xbox 360, I've decided to have a custom joystick built. Unfortunately, none of the stick builders from Shoryuken.com have learned to build Xbox 360 joysticks yet, but while I wait for that eventuality, I'd figure I get started on the design of my stick.

    Usually the small box template from Dreaded Fist's website, here's the design I came up with.



    The circles you see in the picture are where the joystick and buttons will be placed. The joystick will have a red Sanwa joystick with a bat top and 6 red Sanwa buttons. The remaining 5 buttons (back, start, guide, left button, right button) will be placed on the back of the joystick and/or the sides.

    What do you guys think of the design? Any recommendations or additions, or is the design fine as it is?
    Last edited by Cowdisease; 29 Jan 2006 at 11:53 PM.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

  2. Those characters seem a bit jumbled. I think clear and crisp designs would look better. The right side is a little simplistic too, but overall it looks pretty decent.
    your mom

  3. #3
    Blog Entries
    2
    Heh, in anticipation of two SNK games, you're building a Street Fighter themed stick.
    I like the artist you chose.

  4. That's a great pic... I'd move it up a little, so the joystick doesn't cover Chun-li's upper portion too much. Have it centered more in line with her midsection or thigh.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    That's a great pic... I'd move it up a little, so the joystick doesn't cover Chun-li's upper portion too much. Have it centered more in line with her midsection or thigh.
    Thanks for the comment. I couldn't move the picture up, so what I did was move the joystick and buttons holes down and a bit to the right (and I nudged the image to the left). It's not lined up with the midsection like you suggested only because I don't want the joystick and buttons square at the center of the stick (need ample space for my palms).



    Quote Originally Posted by Mman
    The right side is a little simplistic too, but overall it looks pretty decent.
    Design isn't my strongest suit, so I'll see if I can get someone to spruce up the right column. Anyone has any suggestions on what I should do with the right column?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

  6. Maybe a column or row of various SF logos? I have no talent what-so-ever, but I think that would look nice.
    All is well.

  7. I'm trying to see what I can come up with right now, but to be honest, I like the right side being nothing but white. But I'll come up with an idea.

    Edit: Okay, here's my first attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joystick01.jpg 
Views:	8673 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	18475  
    Last edited by mollipen; 08 Feb 2006 at 01:52 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

  8. #8
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Okay, here's my first attempt.
    I can only imagine that text being spoken by the announcer guy from the Alpha games, heh.



  9. First off, thank you Shidoshi for taking the time to offer your design input. I really appreciate it.

    I like what you did with the red around the characters. I would get rid of the xbox360 and Street Fighter description text and enlarge 'Street Fighter' a bit. I like 'Street' bleeding into the white background, although I would like to see 'Street Fighter' in a different font.

    Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I'm trying to see what I can come up with right now, but to be honest, I like the right side being nothing but white.
    It's interesting you say that, because I originally thought about leaving the right side white, but I was afraid it looked too plain. Do you think it would be better if I ditch the red altogether and just use the Capcom logo and a variation of the Street Fighter logo (or even text) on the right side?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    I would get rid of the xbox360 and Street Fighter description text...
    Those are my favorite parts.

    It's interesting you say that, because I originally thought about leaving the right side white, but I was afraid it looked too plain. Do you think it would be better if I ditch the red altogether and just use the Capcom logo and a variation of the Street Fighter logo (or even text) on the right side?
    I think a lot of people are really afraid of white space when doing design stuff, but there's no reason to be. Sometimes things look good just being left empty, and you shouldn't fill that area just because you feel you are supposed to. I think if you were going to go with your original design, I'd ditch the red bar.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo