Thread: Various colored and penciled stuff

1. Ninja Various colored and penciled stuff

I know I've posted some stuff in here before, but it was an ass ton of time ago. For the most part I stick to lurking, though figured I'd throw in a couple of things.

Any comments/criticisms/ hints/tips/advice/etc?

Sorry in advance if any of them or overly large.

For the first one, I took a departure from usual procedure of penciling, then inking, then scan and color. I scanned straight from the pencils and colored.

And the last one is just an in-progress that's been 'in-progres' for a while now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shooty.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	18573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warrior-pencil.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	18574  
    "I see the world didn't end yesterday."

"Are you sure?"

2. They're nice in general. The second one is a little hard to critique since it's so early, but watch out for asymmetry (like in the pecs and the scorpion tails). Looks like you have some interesting costume ideas going, but make sure it's cohesive and sensible (for whatever universe/scenario you're creating it, of course) in the end.

For the colored pic, I find it's overly dark and hard to read at first. Granted, it's a dark piece, but some select highlights to guide the eye around would be good. Especially the anatomy of the big demon. I didn't see that it was nothing but his hand above her at first, seemed more like a foreshortened arm and...it was unclear. The girl seems fine, except for her gun-holding arm. The shoulder just looks detached, and there aren't enough other anatomical clues to suggest how contorted her body is.

Lastly, it looks like your using the burn and dodge tools to do some of your shading. Those tend to flatten things out and produce some gross colors (like the yellowing in the demons shaded areas). I'd just pick a darker color and paint it straight, or even use the multiply mode for you brush (from the pulldown menu) for better results.

I do like the composition on that one, maybe I'd add more zombies around her at the bottom, to suggest she was battling a group of them, and then was snatched up by the "boss"...even so, she decides to peg one last zombie as she goes. The moon is cliche, but could be used for some cool white/blue backlighting in this piece, and of course the omnipresent diffuse glow that everyone loves. I'd make the moon the primary light source, and have glowy highlights.

*phew* k, hope that helps, and keep posting!