Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking To Buy A Guitar

Looking To Buy A Guitar

I've played a few different instruments in the past, so I've always been pretty musical, but I have yet to play guitar. Anyhow, I'm looking to pick up as good of a guitar and small amp as I can for cheap. Does anybody have any idea on what I should buy? I don't really know anything about guitars, but I'm fairly confident I want to start with an electric guitar.

My budget is about $200, but I can spend up to $400. I want something cheap, so I REALLY don't want to spend much more than $200 unless I need to. Like I said this is going to be a learning guitar, so I don't want something that nice, but definately something that is solid. Thanks.
    Last edited by NApOLm321; 30 Jan 2006 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

2. If you want to buy new, you can get a Squier Stratocaster (standard series) for about $200, and for the money, it's a good guitar. I'm sure people will argue this, but I have one and I've always been happy with it. Just don't get an Affinity Squier Strat, their build quality is a whole lot cheaper.

If you shop around used, though, the money will go a lot farther.

Costco had one that came packed in with an amp. $150 I think.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

Get a Squire strat. Great, underrated, durable guitars.

5. Get this and this and you should be set. Squier guitars aren't known for their master craftsmanship, but you can't really beat the price for a beginner guitar.

And if you have any money left over, get a decent tuner and make sure that's the FIRST thing you learn how to use.

I doubt the Vox name means much to Napolm. He could probably get a $50 Fender or Marshall amp and be quite happy for a while.

7. You can get this guitar for under $70 bucks.
    Time for a change

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I doubt the Vox name means much to Napolm. He could probably get a $50 Fender or Marshall amp and be quite happy for a while.
    You're right, I always forget that the noobs rarely stick with the guitar, so no need to blow your money. If you really want to save some cash get this. Sadly, they no longer put them in an actual cigarette case, but its still a cool little amp for 25 bucks.

So the consensus is that I should buy a stratocaster? I guess I will go ahead and try to find a used one. Anything in peticular I should look for when shopping used?

What do you guys think I should look into for amps and tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    You're right, I always forget that the noobs rarely stick with the guitar, so no need to blow your money.
    I agree, but I'm sure I'll stick to the guitar. The only reason I've lost interest in instruments in the past is because I don't really listen to much music other than rock and synth stuff, so you lose a bit of enjoyment when you can't really play anything you listen to. Fuck jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    If you really want to save some cash get this. Sadly, they no longer put them in an actual cigarette case, but its still a cool little amp for 25 bucks.
    Can you actually hear anything out of that? Maybe I can't see the size too well. I want something cheap, but not blatantly shitty.
    Last edited by NApOLm321; 30 Jan 2006 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

10. Squier Strats are bang for the buck the best shit you can get.

You'd be surprised how dirty and loud those Smokie amps get. Get one just because they are cool, even if it's not what you practice out of for long.+

Oh, and for tuners, I'm particular to stuff by Sabine. The STX1100 is my favorite tuner I've ever used. Extremely accurate.
    Last edited by Mykozo; 30 Jan 2006 at 10:51 PM.