Page 1 of 33 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Speech

1. Freedom of Speech

Drawing from 'Jyllandposten'

Drawings from 'Jyllandposten'

Drawing from 'Le Monde'

Freedom of speech is often regarded as an integral concept in modern liberal democracies, where it is understood to outlaw censorship.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

The basis for these drawings of Muhammad originated with an author who wrote a book about islam and couldn't find an artist to illustrate his book. A newspaper then sparked the debate about freedom of speech and selfcensorship by daring cartoonist to illustrate islam's prophet. The ensuing newspaper article had 12 pictures, as seen above, accompanied by the following text:
    The modern, secular society is rejected by some Muslims. They demand a special position, insisting on special consideration of their own religious feelings. It is incompatible with temporal democracy and freedom of speech, where you must be ready to put up with insults, mockery and ridicule. It is certainly not always equally attractive and nice to look at, and it does not mean that religious feelings should be made fun of at any price, but that is less important in this context. [...] we are on our way to a slippery slope where no-one can tell how the self-censorship will end. That is why Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten has invited members of the Danish editorial cartoonists union to draw Muhammad as they see him. [...]
    It is in my opinion that printed media has the right to provoke, satire and comment on all facets of society. No backwards nation is ever going to tell me what I can do & what I can't do - in my own country. I thank all democratic institutions in the following countries: Norway, Italy, Sweden, France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Iceland & Jordan. Thank you for printing the pictures in your national newspapers!

- Naturally fundamentalists are now lining up to suicidebomb Denmark with war-like rethoric: "If only we had killed Salman Rushdie, then the West wouldn't dare this!" & "look what happened to Theo Van Gogh!". I don't mean to offend any religion, but to me freedom of expression is sacred, it is my bible, which is why I must make this post.

Please read the full background story here, before you comment or flame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jylland...ammad_cartoons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jp.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	18419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jp2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	18420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lemonde.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	18421  
    Last edited by dakidski; 02 Feb 2006 at 11:37 AM.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

I'm keeping watch in this topic...

3. This is truly madness and shows the real intolerance and danger of fanatical Muslims. Their beliefs dont jive with Western liberalism, they cant live under it, they dont respect differing point of views or tolerance, and they probably arent gonna change their minds. Westerners like to scoff at the notion of "resorting the caliph" or "taking back Spain" but its a real idea and one they actively are pursuing. One thing I thought we learned from WW2 was that we should take what crazies say at their face value. But maybe we didnt.

Its good that Europe is realizing this, right in the nick of time I think.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 02 Feb 2006 at 12:16 PM.

4. thanks diffx. I hope USA will make a public statement in support of our struggle, although it will probably make the muslims more hostile towards us. CNN-International chose to broadcast the drawings in question in a pixelated form, as to 'not offend'.

I don't give a rat's ass about losing our Middle-Eastern markets nor about the tons of jobs danes have now lost because of this boycott. When it's about a fundamental issue like this economics become irrelevant. I guess the arab world chose denmark as an object of hate, because we are USA's tinyest and most harmless ally. We have become the Salman Rushdie of nations.
    nocturne:

5. FWIW I plan to buy Danish beer for the forseeable future.

6. The middle-east is a full century behind the times. Either they adapt or they deserve to get killed off by our process of natural selection. (today's politics in action)

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    FWIW I plan to buy Danish beer for the forseeable future.
    I could use some of that. Any brands in mind?
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

7. Carlsberg and Tuborg are the big ones we have here, I believe.

Drinking beer = supporting free speech. This is a cause any American can get behind.

8. Don't forget the pretzels.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

9. Beer:

http://www.carlsberg.com/
    http://www.tuborg.com/

If we survive this I owe you all a 6-pack.

here are a few of the radical reactions to this issue:

Boycotts are fine by me, at least its a democratic reaction as long as the government doesn't impose the boycotts on its citizens.

Doesn't offend me at all, it just seems childish.

Sure, burn and shoot the flag if you want. They also burn posters of our Prime Minister.

No sir, I don't like this.

It's lame photoshop, but suicidebombers are a reality today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	18422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	18423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	18424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	18425  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab6.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	18426  
    nocturne:

10. Way to make yourselves look like a rationally thinking society, Islam.

Way to go.

If I drank alcohol I'd on my way to buy a six-pack of Danish beer right now as a hearty "Fuck you" to the backwards extremism that part of the world encourages.
    Last edited by Master of 7s; 02 Feb 2006 at 01:04 PM.