Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TNL Comic / Manga Club: Naoki Urasawa's Monster

1. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    With 17 more volumes I have to wait over two years for? Jesus. It's not an ongoing series anymore, just work on it and release the whole damn thing. I really hate that about a lot of manga, we get it years after it's finished and they still stretch it out for us.

I know, translating can be a huge pain in the ass, but I'd rather wait six months and get the whole thing at once instead of having it drawn out in little chunks over multiple years. I'd imagine their translation department is bigger then Working Design's.
    Yeah, but Viz releases like 30 books a month, whereas WD released maybe a game per year. Not really a fair comparison.

They actually released Vagabond volumes on a monthly basis a while back until they caught up with the JP releases, so they've tried it. Pretty certain it didn't light their world on fire sales-wise, in fact they probably saw noticably lower sales volume-to-volume, as people fell behind. See, the world would be a better place if you jackinapes had supported Vagabond, but ohhhh nooooo.

Ah well, the gaps between releases are still much smaller than Japan's were, which would have been looked upon as a minor miracle five years ago. If you want to know true terror, try the wait between volumes of Blade of the Immortal.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 21 Feb 2006 at 09:00 AM.

2. Yeah, I wasn't really being serious about the WD comparision and I know it hurts them financially (it's also easier to lure readers into testing a series by releasing singular cheaper books instead of giant volumes), I was mostly just whining about how I personally would prefer it regardless of smart business practices.

3. Okay, so I read the first two volumes of this and it's fantastic!

Uh, that's about all I've got. Just really good, tight storytelling. Better than most manga that I've read, which really isn't very much.