Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Online "Shills" or Corporate planted forum imposters.

1. Online "Shills" or Corporate planted forum imposters.

Im not sure if anyone's been keeping up on this topic but it's pretty scary backslash depressing.

I originally heard about this being an actual provable business through this post at penny arcade, who then linked a few days later to an entire article on the phenomenon.

apparently these advertising agencies plant their employees on popular forums to gain the confidence of the board over weeks or months and then subtely create hype for a product over time by vouching for it.

i'd post this in a general forum but these people seem to particularly target videogame related boards.

i'd find it very hard to believe that atleast a few people who regularly post here arent doing it as a job. let the finger pointing start.

Isn't this, like, the 14th thread about this shit?

3. Anyone who posts this "revelation" as actual news and acting all taken aback and surprised by it is probably doing so to throw the scent off their trail.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 13 Feb 2006 at 01:41 PM.

4. I always suspected Jeremy was hired to promote Rent-A-Hero...until the game never came out over here.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Isn't this, like, the 14th thread about this shit?
    Yeah, what the fuck.

6. 25 to Life is an amazing game.

Hardcore Gamer is the best magazine on stands right now.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

8. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    I always suspected Jeremy was hired to promote Rent-A-Hero...until the game never came out over here.

My HGM avatar only helps this claim, too.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. Who the fuck is LittleEric?

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltor
    Hardcore Gamer is the best magazine on stands right now.
    I believe you mean that from the bottom of your heart.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww