Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: I need Manga Suggestions

1. Kirby I need Manga Suggestions

Help me TNL, you are my only hope.

I want to read more manga, but there are specific things I'm looking for, and specific things I'm trying to avoid.

I am reading GTO and am enjoying it, but a lot of what I look at on the shelves when I am at Borders is not something that I would enjoy.

Things I'm trying to avoid:
    • Humor that anime fans tell me is "funny" when it isn't funny at all. I have yet to read anything to make me laugh out loud in a manga.
    • Gender switches as a main plot device. Guys that used to be girls, girls pretending to be boys, guys that are very girl-like or "pretty". No thanks.
    • Fantasy bordering on nonsense/campy stuff.
    Things I am looking for:
    • Character development (Action is great, but it isn't enough alone)
    • Good art. I can't stand sloppy line or bad proportions. The art needs to be good.
    Things I'm thinking about reading:
    • Akira (I love the anime, but have never read the manga. I know, I suck.)
    • Planetes (the art doesn't seem to be the best, but I like the Policenauts vibe)
    • Golgo 13
    • Cowboy Bebop (Is this that weird humor I'm trying to avoid?)
    • Lone Wolf & Cub
    • Samurai Executioner

Any suggestions or things to avoid would help. I really am uneducated on the topic. Thanks.

PS: Where do I buy cheap manga? I found http://www.bargainanime.com/ Anywhere else I should look?

2. Before anything you need to read Berserk. One of the best mangas out and also one of my favorite anime. Battle Royale is also very good. A friend got me hooked on it and I can't stop reading. Both are extremely violent, though. Battle Royale specifically as it also has some gratuitous sex and gore. Characterization is top notch. Still worth a look.

As for comedy, check out Love Hina. I haven't read much of it, but on the few I have read I actually laughed out loud in the store. Cowboy Bebop is always good, but the anime is significantly better than anything the manga could produce.

Another one that looks great is Blade of the Immortal. I have yet to read it, but from what I saw the art looks amazing.
    "When angels are forced out of heaven they become devils." -- Viciouis

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34068

EDIT: WARNING! EXTREMELY AWESOME MANGA!
    Last edited by Revoltor; 17 Feb 2006 at 08:09 PM.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

4. I'm not gonna change the link, because I'm not a dick, but do watch out.

5. Monster for God's sake. No silliness, just solid entertainment. Action, characters and the like. Planetes is awesome stuff, even if the ending isn't what you want. Black Jack, Phoenix, and Buddha are all classics, but kind of acquired tastes. Ghost Hunt gets kind of silly, but the first volume is good. Akira, Nausicaa... Yes Blade of the immortal.
    Donk

6. You're wise to go with Planetes, but don't get any wild ideas and try the anime. It's crap. The manga, however, is solid.
    Time for a change

7. Vagabond Vagabond Vagabond Vagabond.

(Imagine the above being screamed by a sweaty Steve Ballmer, if it helps)

You'd probably like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, too. Maybe Deathnote.

Both incarnations of Planetes are great. Gozen's just stupid, surprising no one.

8. The Planetes anime gets silly, but it's good anyway. It seems a little less believable too, despite it being more realistic.
    Donk

9. Quote Originally Posted by Finch
    The Planetes anime gets silly, but it's good anyway.
    No, it's just silly and boring.
    Time for a change

10. Death Note
    Battle Angel Alita
    Uzumaki
    Eyeshield 21

i highly recommend all of these and they fit your requirements. Battle Angel is an all-time sci-fi classic, Uzumaki is a great horror title, Eyeshield is a comedy, but is all about american football (even if you don't like football, the story is superb and makes it interesting), and Death Note is the greatest thing out right now. i don't know where you'd categorize it (mystery? thriller?).