Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Major PC locking problem

1. Major PC locking problem

So I have ran every major spyware program to try and fix any problems I have with my computer (results coming up with nill)

Problem is that my pc will lock up for no apparent reason. I might not even be using the computer and it will lock up. When I cut it off and power it back on, my firewall is off to boot, causing me to turn it back on every time this happens.

Any suggestions??

2. You need to test your hardware, incase that is the cause of the problem. If you can run these tests, then you can eliminate that out of the equation.

Try this program called Prime95. It is a system stressing software, and is the most commonly used program to test whether or not an overclocked computer is stable. If you can run an hour of that, then your cpu is probably ok, if not, thaen we have the source of the problem.
    When my computer is unstable, it will usually fail that test in the first ten minutes.

Also get this temperature monitoring software as this test will make your cpu work hard, hence it will get hot, so you just want to make sure it doesn't get dangerously so.

Can you tell us more about what motherboard, ram and cpu you are using please?

3. Also what happens when it crashes, does it just lock up and you can't move the mouse, or do you get an error message?

4. Just a few details on my pc: Emachine, 128mb, 40gb hd, AMD Athalon XP.

When it locks up, you can't move the mouse, can't get anything to work via the keyboard, etc. I'm going to run those programs Burky, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi
    Emachine
    Oh shit, there is your problem right there. If I ever catch another TNLer buying a pre-fab bullshit computer, they will die by my hand.

6. Ok...I'm having these exact symptoms. Well, except for the firewall. And I don't have an emachine. Handmade. I've narrowed it down to a hardware fault, it's either my motherboard or my power supply. AMD Athlon 64 3000. MSI K8T Neo2. 512 Ram (Ya I know I need ram) 450 Watt PS, GeForce 6600 LE, SoundBlaster Live, DVD Drive, CDRW Drive, 30 Gig IDE HD, 100 Gig SATA HD. I think that's it. Oh and I'm on XP SP2 now.

7. Try my first post. If you pass half an hour of that test, then it's probably not your hardware. If it does, then we investigate further by doing cpu or ram specific tests to find which one fails.

For Error, since you know what to do with the cables.
    If you really don't think it's your cpu/ram, then go get another computer with a powerful enough PSU. Open the case, and plug all the power from the other motherboard into your one. The cables will just about reach you don't have to remove the PSU at all.

Error, what brand is your psu. 450W is fine for that set-up, but if it's a shitty brand maybe not.
    If you are concerned about it not being powerful enough, try running on minimum appliances; remove all ram, but one stick, unplug all hdds, but the one you boot off, and all cd/dvd writers/readers. This way you consume less power, so that way you can know if you have enough oomph in your psu.

Get Speedfan, and look at your volt readings (the +ve ones on the left). If they fluctuate frequently, by a relatively large amount, or the voltage value is less than 5% of what stated (e.g. 12v rail should be >11.4) else you have problems
    Last edited by Burky; 25 Feb 2006 at 05:57 PM.

8. Ok, my power supply is an Antec i believe, but its been a little while, I might be wrong. I know I didn't buy a shit brand though.

Second, I ran the torture test and it came up with an error in about 2 minutes.
    What the error means I have no clue other than it says I've got a hardware fault.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stresstest.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	18662  

9. Check my previous post as I made an edit, but Antec is decent so you shouldn't have any problem there. (still possible though, so check those volts)

So, it's likely your cpu, or ram.
    Now let's focus on individual components.

Go to options/torture test/small ffts.
    This will stress only your cpu.

If you pass that for half an hour, then go to options/torture test/large ffts.
    That tests only your ram.

Sounds more like a cpu error to me as ram errors usually give a blue-screen.

Here is a screen of my volts for comparison.

Just as a check, you aren't overclocking anything at all are you?
    Last edited by Burky; 25 Feb 2006 at 06:10 PM.

10. ok the only fluctuations im seeing in the power from that thing is on my 12v..and thats from 12.04 to 12.16. Currently running the cpu test you mentioned. The system froze on me once when I clicked on the charts tab. But I doubt that means anything.

And no i'm not overclocking.