Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: Major PC locking problem

1. ive heard you can snap the extra pins off, but i wouldnt recommend it. i believe places like newegg sell adapters.

2. Actually i just checked again...the extra pins slide off. WOOT. It looked solid. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    Well, just do whatever made it freeze up before.
    Thats the thing. When it freezes, I'm not doing anything. The computer is just on and when I wake up, its frozen.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Error
    Actually i just checked again...the extra pins slide off. WOOT. It looked solid. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.
    ahem.....don't forget to thank me.

5. Indeed sir. Thank you very much.

6. So this never quite got solved for me. I got sick of trying solutions and having them blow up on me. New PS, nadda. New Motherboard was obtained, same result. So I've come to the conclusion that I may have suffered a power spike or something that may have fried my components. My keyboard and mouse, one cd rom drive, the old videocard and monitor, along with one ide cable and possibly the drive attached to it are all flaky at best. I had a surge protector on the computer but those are apparently good for one surge.

Anyway, has anyone ever suffered from a power surge, and does what I just described sound like it? What should I look for, tell tale signs and such?

7. teh jemery had his computer broken in a power cut, if you remember his thread here.
    We once had a power cut, and my brothers hard disk got fried.

Bad luck with the computer. I had a load of motherboard problems a while back and went through like 3 in a month, gave up and moved onto a new system, and sold off the parts for a good price.

8. so after months of constant locking, I finally found a cure. I took the side panel off of the cpu and cleaned it and the fan. Still that did nothing in regards to the constant locking. So this past week I found a mini fan in my closet and decided to sit it right next to the open cpu and not once in the past week has my cpu locked up. Amazing.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert