Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ghosts 'N Goblins Series Tribute Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I never enjoyed these 'classic' arcade games at all. The action seemed very random, unpredictable, slow and annoying; and you could only do those farty little jumps. Any home ports I played had the same problem.
    The problem was the retard with the controller. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe
    There are two different ones that I know of. One is a permanent connection(PSP2TV) that I'm sure has superior quality and lets you use a PS2 controller and the other is an attachment that hooks to the face of the PSP and displays its image on the TV(Blaze). I've read mixed reviews on Blaze.
    http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=over&category=365&

Thanks for the link. I'm checking out the adapters now. I WILL be playing the new Ultimate G&G game come this fall, and I'd infinitely prefer it be on the big screen.

*Also, just as I suspected (like in this thread), some gamers are put off by the high difficulty of these games. That's partially why the series isn't more popular. Another part is it's been neglected by Capcom for far too long.
    That was part of the appeal to me, the high challenge, and the sense of satisfaction you get when you first finish the games.
    Of course like most games, once you learn the patterns etc., it's not difficult at all.

Quote Originally Posted by J2d
    Great thread Neo, I think I'm gonna pick up Capcom Generation 2. Any differences between the PS and Saturn versions?

*From what I remembered reading the Saturn Capcom Generations disc is slightly better than the PS one. I only own and have played the Saturn one though.
    I hadn't played the araced GnG since 1989, and when I picked up Generations a few years ago I had totally forgotten how superior looking & sounding the game was to the Genesis versions. This disc is a dream come true for a GnG fan. I'm almost certain you won't be disappointed with it.

The capcoms classic collection is a different story however. I've played the Xbox one, and it's a pile of poop trying to use that lame little stiff directional with the GnG games. Avoid this, at all costs, I won't even play it on the Xbox after having played the Saturn games.

**Another thing about the compilation disc is that Ghosts' N Goblins is the arcade port, and not the NES game. They almost play like two different games, with a huge graphical upgrade from the NES game and the patterns of many of the enemies are slightly different.

I would get the one you like to play 2D games on more, and the Saturn controller (the 2nd stock one) works great for me.
    Ghouls'N Ghosts=Greatest game known to mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Partialartist
    My cousin and I were playing Super G&G on CCC. We(I) managed to get past the boss, and then found out we had to do everything again. We both said "fuck that" and turned it off. I await Ultimate G&G.
    Why did you have to do everything again?
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NApOLm321
    Why did you have to do everything again?
    In GnG games, when you think you're at the end (the first time you get there), you're not. You must go through it twice. The second time through is even harder (same levels, just more & faster enemies), and you must pick up a special weapon at some point to be able to get to & or beat the final, final boss.

5. Great thread! I always sucked at Ghosts 'N Goblins but I loved Gargoyle's Quest. I didn't know about the beat the game twice deal, man that's brutal!

6. Quote Originally Posted by warnpro
    In GnG games, when you think you're at the end (the first time you get there), you're not. You must go through it twice. The second time through is even harder (same levels, just more & faster enemies), and you must pick up a special weapon at some point to be able to get to & or beat the final, final boss.
    The Engrish endings are probably my favorite part of the first GnG game:

"This room is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly. Make rapid progress."

"Being the wise and courageous knight that you are, you feel strongth welling in your body. Return to starting point. Challenge again."

"Congratulation. The story is happy end. Thank you."

Initially, my primary motivation for beating that game was to see what kind of crazy gibberish comprised the "true" ending. Needless to say, I was lavishly rewarded once I finally made it.

7. Raspberry

Quote Originally Posted by wEEman33
    The Engrish endings are probably my favorite part of the first GnG game:

"This room is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly. Make rapid progress."

"Being the wise and courageous knight that you are, you feel strongth welling in your body. Return to starting point. Challenge again."

"Congratulation. The story is happy end. Thank you."

Initially, my primary motivation for beating that game was to see what kind of crazy gibberish comprised the "true" ending. Needless to say, I was lavishly rewarded once I finally made it.
    My friends and I get a kick out of those too, and joke around with the "make rapid progress" to none video game things.

I was slightly disappointed in the ending to GnG & SG&G, as there seemed to be a proficient English proofreader on the staff. No classic Engrish stuff.
    Although I believe they call the princess "goodess" instead of goddess in Ghouls's N Ghosts.

8. great thread, I still like playing these games today.

I also like the Makaimura Gaidens a lot, for working without the demons=evil formula.

there's also a (Japan only) Game Boy version of Gargoyle's Quest 2 (Gaiden 2).

9. One thing missing: the fabled GnG online. Were screens of this ever released?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe
    There are two different ones that I know of. One is a permanent connection(PSP2TV) that I'm sure has superior quality and lets you use a PS2 controller and the other is an attachment that hooks to the face of the PSP and displays its image on the TV(Blaze). I've read mixed reviews on Blaze.
    http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=over&category=365&
    You know, Sony should make a TV adapter themselves. Have it plug into the USB port and include a firmware upgrade to allow the machine to output to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids