Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNL Comic / Manga Club: Bone

1. TNL Comic / Manga Club: Bone

It starts out seemingly as just something cute and turns into an epic adventure.

From Booklist
    *Starred Review* Mere months after publishing the final installment of the long-running fantasy saga Bone, Smith collects all 13 years' worth of it in a single, massive volume. As many comics fans know, the series chronicles the adventures of the Bone cousins--plucky Fone Bone, scheming Phony Bone, and easygoing Smiley Bone-- who leave their home of Boneville and are swept up in a Tolkienesque epic of royalty, dragons, and unspeakable evil forces out to conquer humankind. The compilation makes it evident how fully formed Smith's vision was from the very beginning--although the early chapters emphasized comedy, as do the final pages, the tale quickly found its dramatic bearings. His remarkably accomplished drawing style, in the manner of such comics masters as Walt Kelly and Carl Barks, was fully formed from the start, too. Libraries that have missed out on individual Bone series titles should seize this opportunity to make up for the fact, and those who have collected the series all along will do well to acquire the collected edition to supplement or supplant those doubtless well-worn volumes. But be prepared for overdues: even the most voracious readers will be hard-pressed to get through this hefty, phone book-like tome before they're supposed to return it. Gordon Flagg
    Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
    There are a few version floating around, the single volume which is like 1300 pages (and out of print) but I have seen it at local book stores, the hard back editions, and new "manga" sized books that have been colorized. If you are going to buy a copy I'd say look around for the single volume wish is only 40 bucks and you get everything.

This was a great series I picked it up at work and didn't stop reading it untill pretty much the next day when I had finished it. The art and the panels are very well done and give scenes great feeling and/or movement. One of the best I can think of think of is when Fone Bone is falling down a cliff you can almost just feel the movement and the bouncing going on.

Official website - http://www.boneville.com/

2. I needed an excuse to buy that...

I really wish i'd picked up the One Volume Edition (that's what it's called) when i saw it last. I don't even remember. I'll certainly look to see if we still have it.
    Donk

3. I was actually looking at that HUGE freaking bible of a book awhile back. They had it at the borders here.

4. I've picked up a few of the Scholastic color reprints so far, they're very nice quality.

5. Wow, it's a shame the One Volume Collection is out of print. Didn't see that coming

6. It's because they are doing the colored version. But the one volume is nice because it's 40 bucks for all of it instead of 10 for each of the color which there should end up being nine of which will end up costing the buyer 90 bucks.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    I was actually looking at that HUGE freaking bible of a book awhile back. They had it at the borders here.
    Yeah they actually had to have a bible printer bind the book because it was to thick for the normal comics printer.

I have the One Volume Edition and the first three of the collected edition in hardcover. I wish I had grabbed the one volme hardcover when that was out. I would buy the color ones in hardcover too.
    Anyone read Rose or Stupid Stupid Rat Tales? I like Charles Vess's artwork on Rose but it didn't seem to fit with the rest of Bone's story or art.
    Also was it just me or did Bone get really dark for the last two volumes and only had a so so denouement? It was just sorta back to Boneville, forget all the romance build up between Rose and Fone Bone, like Smith lost his nerve at the end. He had the makings of a great cartoonist, red head females with anthropomorphic (sp?) creatures is a stable of cartoons. I wish he would have at least had Fone Bone given her one of his poems, or written a good poem, or something. I get the impression that he could have had more, but he just wanted to end it.
    Last edited by Jester; 01 Mar 2006 at 03:51 AM.

8. It's hard to end things. But really how was things with Thorn and Fone to work out? I'm sure she would have to marry someone and it wouldn't be Fone and so he would only be there as her friend and I'm sure that would be hard one him. So sometimes it's just best to leave.

9. i used to read these when i as a kid in those cheap 1.99 "DisneyAdventures" comics. The series was great but i wasn't able to finish it.
    Last edited by avatar; 01 Mar 2006 at 10:43 AM.

10. Has anyone played the games? I just installed Windows XP on my MacBook and was wondering if they'd be worth playing.