Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gundam

1. Question Gundam

I'm about halfway through 8th MS Team and really enjoying it. All I've seen aside from this is Gundam Wing and an episode here and there of the original series and I believe it was Zeta on Cartoon Network. Gundam Wing I wouldnt watch again aside to remind myself how INSANE the charcters are, but the bit of Zeta I saw seemed nice. G Gundam just wasnt my thing. I've also seen the first two episodes of 0083 and enjoyed them.

Anyway, I dont understand the basis and history of the Gundam universe. When they are rattling off about UC 0079 and the one year war and things I don't know what is going on. Should I endure the dub for the original series or watch the movies (they are the condensed original story right?)

I know Gundam Wing has nothing to do with the real gundam stories, but are there other series that are the same way?

It'd be cool if someone would kinda tell me whats worth seeing and in what order. Also just talk about Gundam and its coolness.

I feel kind of nerd/faggot-chan for saying this, but I really enjoyed gundam wing. I even went out and bought endless waltz.

I've seen a few episodes of this gundam show while I was up late with the flu a couple years ago. It was the one where they are in the jungle or something. it might have been 8th MS team, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, I enjoyed it, but it was only on at midnights or something stupid.

I too, would be interested in knowing more about gundam.

Oh yea, sandrock custom beats ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

3. 0083 Stardust Memory is my favorite. Although it starts to get too convoluted and over-dramatic near the end of the series. The first 2/3 of it are damn awesome though.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NApOLm321
    I feel kind of nerd/faggot-chan for saying this, but I really enjoyed gundam wing. I even went out and bought endless waltz.
    I suspect that I enjoyed it a bit more than I care to admit. Sucked though if you missed one episode the whole story fell apart. You were lost!

"HEEERROO WHY DONT YOU COME AND KILLLLLLLLLLL MEEE!!"

and who could forget Wufei screaming at the wolves?!

Quote Originally Posted by NApOLm321
    I've seen a few episodes of this gundam show while I was up late with the flu a couple years ago. It was the one where they are in the jungle or something. it might have been 8th MS team, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, I enjoyed it, but it was only on at midnights or something stupid.
    Sounds exactly like 8th MS Team.

5. I've always thought that 08th MS Team was the best and most realistic of the Gundam series by far but I liked Gundam Wing too as well as 0083.
    Last edited by Will; 07 Mar 2006 at 01:20 AM.

6. Yeah, I really dig 8th MS Team, I had all of Gundam Wing on VHS when it came on CN, and I bought Endless Waltz. I DL'd Seed and I'm starting to watch that, but so far 8th is the hottest shit.

7. From what I hear, the best of Gundam is in the movies and that's all you really need to see.

8. The Gundams actually move in 8th MS Team!! Really impressive!

9. Buy the Gundam Movie pack on DVD. It includes the Gundam 79 movie trilogy (all the good stuff without the filler), Char's Counterattack and 08th MS, Millers Report. Stardust Memory, or 0083, deals with the remnants of zeon stealing a nuke gundam. The major implications of this series is, the Titans, a military group dedicated to ferreting out zeon activity in space, will rise to power. Unfortunately, their methods are brutal, and they'll opress the spacenoids, which will lead to a resistance movement rising up.

If you're really intrigued about UC, I would recommend watching the 79 movie trilogy, watching 8th MS (which you are), watching 0080, skipping 0083 (KOU! NINA! GATO! ARRR!) watching Zeta, watching Char's Counterrattack, then watching F91 to finish it off. There's also Double Zeta (held as kiddy-trash and character destroying) and the last UC series whose name I'm currently forgetting.

So, basically, buy the Gundam Movie pack, 0080 collection, F-91, then either throw down 100 bucks for the zeta series or watch fansubbed versions of the movie trilogy when they come out. I believe only the first one is out at the moment.

And, yeah, theres a handful of non UC gundams, like Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Gundam Seed, Gundam X, etc.

Tomino is the name of the guy responsible for most of UC gundam. If you end up really enjoying the gundam movie trilogy (i.e. the old animation doesn't bother you), you may be interested in some of his other stuff. Aura Battler Dunbine is about my favorite of his. But...about Tomino...you don't need happy endings, right?

http://www.mahq.net/ This website is your new best friend. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Oh, and one more thing. Your experience with gundam so far (8th MS, Wing, the first couple episodes of 0083) is no way indicitave of Tomino Gundam. There is a very, very, very, good chance you will despise 79, zeta, the rest of Stardust Memory, for being extremely slow, bleak, and melodromatic, aka Tomino-like. Again, I would recommend buying the Gundam Movie pack to find out, I don't think it's very expensive, especially for what you get.
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 28 Feb 2006 at 04:00 PM.

10. But F-91 is the worst of the bunch. Even as a U.C. fanboy I'm saying this.
    All is well.