Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Dynasty Warriors 5 called DW4 in Japan?

1. Question Why is Dynasty Warriors 5 called DW4 in Japan?

Most reviews make reference to this as well but I haven't had one explicitly state the initial cause of the different numbering system.

Who knows the answer?

*cue funny and snide remarks*

2. We're one ahead numbering wise because the first "dynasty Warriors" game was a 3D Vs. fighting game that came out for PS1.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The first game was a fighting game that was released in 1997 on the PlayStation. This game was not released under the 'Shin Sangokumusou' title in Japan which is why there is a discrepancy in title numbers.
    www.justfuckingwikiit.com
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/37676.png

3. Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    I should have. I honestly didn't think of it. Thanks.

Here is the game list from the wiki

The games in this series (in chronological release order) are as follows:

• Dynasty Warriors (Sangokumusou) [1997] - PlayStation
    • Dynasty Warriors 2 (Shin Sangokumusou) [2000] - PlayStation 2
    • Dynasty Warriors 3 (Shin Sangokumusou 2) [2001] - PlayStation 2
    • Dynasty Warriors 3 Xtreme Legends (Shin Sangokumusou 2 Moushouden) [2002] - PlayStation 2
    • Dynasty Warriors 4 (Shin Sangokumusou 3) [2003] - PlayStation 2, Xbox
    • Dynasty Warriors 4 Xtreme Legends (Shin Sangokumusou 3 Moushouden) [2003] - PlayStation 2, Xbox
    • Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires (Shin Sangokumusou 3 Empires) [2004] - PlayStation 2
    • Dynasty Warriors PSP (Shin Sangokumusou PSP) [2004] - PlayStation Portable
    • Dynasty Warriors 5 (Shin Sangokumusou 4) [2005] - PlayStation 2, Xbox
    • Dynasty Warriors Advance (Shin Sangokumusou Advance) [2005] - Game Boy Advance
    • Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper for Windows (Shin Sangokumusou 3 Hyper) [2005] - Windows PC
    • Dynasty Warriors 5 Xtreme Legends (Shin Sangokumusou 4 Moushouden) [2005] - PlayStation 2
    • Dynasty Warriors 5 Special (Shin Sangokumusou 4 Special) [2005] - Xbox 360
    • Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires (Shin Sangokumusou 4 Empires) [2006] - PlayStation 2, Xbox 360
    • Dynasty Warriors 2nd Evolution (Shin Sangokumusou 2nd Evolution) [2006] - PlayStation Portable
    • Dynasty Warriors Mahjong (Jan Sangokumusou) [2006] - PlayStation 2
    • Dynasty Warriors DS (Shin Sangokumusou DS) [2006] - Nintendo DS
    • Dynasty Warriors BB (Shin Sangokumusou BB) [2006] - Windows PC (Online)

4. 18 games in nine years. Good lord!
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    18 games in nine years. Good lord!
    No shit. EA Sports has a big hard on. The Japanese are gay for Shinsangoku Mussou. The best part about it is that there's really no reason to have more sequels. The covered the whole story in the first 2-3 games.
    You don't have to be smart; you don't have to know the facts, you just have to be confident.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    18 games in nine years. Good lord!
    And that's not counting Samurai Warriors, Samurai Warriors: Xtreme Legends, Samurai Warriors 2 & Crimson Sea. All of which are DW with new packaging.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

7. I actually prefer Samurai Warriors. The action's a lot more fun and the character development (stat and ability-wise) is much deeper.
    Plus, instead of 75 characters, there are 7. THAT'S ALL THAT'S FUCKING NECESSARY THANKS MUCH.

8. Dynasty Warriors BB (Shin Sangokumusou BB) [2006] - Windows PC (Online)
    Why haven't they done it online for xbauks live or PS2 live? That would apologise for all the rehases.

9. The Empires games are actually quite different from the main series, and vastly superior.

Dynasty Tactics, as well. If you like strategy games and haven't checked these out, you're missing out on possibly the best of the generation.

But yes, the number of games released is absurd.
    -Kyo

10. There's actually been a decline in sales of the series overall in Japan, so I guess even they're getting tired of these near constant releases, though I'm getting DW5: Empires in a few days and can't wait.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2