Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gankutsuou

Gankutsuou

Has anybody seen this? The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books and I saw the second volume of this on the shelf at Best Buy today. It's been getting rave reviews and the official geneon site makes it look pretty fucking cool.

View the trailer here. Holy shit, that trailer kicks all kind of ass; I originally had a different trailer linked.

Apparently it has some sci-fi elements to it.

Here's the other trailer. It's got a bunch of stuff in it the first trailer doesn't have.
    Last edited by Scourge; 01 Mar 2006 at 04:04 PM.

2. I saw a couple of episodes. It really is pretty good.
    Gotta love the Count of Monte Cristo as a space vampire in the future.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to pick this show up.

A couple more really good trailers.

4. Gonzo usually = quality. And this is no exception. It looks amazin' I LOVE the art style. I must aquire this for further inspection
    -Myk

5. I figured everything from Gonzo was at least decent before that nast Burst Angel. Most of their stuff is pretty good, but i approach with caution now.
    Donk

6. I've seen the first two dvds. It's very good.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Finch
    Burst Angel
    Hah, did they do that? Well, the key word is "usually." Hopefully it is as good as it looks.
    -Myk

8. It looked good until that gay line at the end of the trailer, heh.

9. I've recently seen all of it fan-subbed and I own the first dvd and box. I am also a huge fan of the novel. Because of this, the anime was ultimately disappointing. The best parts were in the beginning, but then it just seemed to go downhill from there. I really did not like the ending. This, however, is probably because I read the novel first. There are some similarities, but it differs a lot. I thought the novel was just much better than the show. My friend, who has only seen the live-action movie, loved the series. So those of you who hae yet to read the book may like it more. As for me, I was most impressed with the animation (beautiful and entrancing) and the music. Plus, the count himself is just an awesome sight to behold. Badass incarnate.

It was also (literally) gay with quite a few loop holes that made me a bit confused. Just brace yourself. There was also too little character development for my tastes, but that's to be expected. I would have much rather seen them follow the novel more closely.
    "When angels are forced out of heaven they become devils." -- Viciouis

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Saxophone
    I would have much rather seen them follow the novel more closely.
    How close did you expect it to be, what with the space vampire and all?