Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I NEED A VERY BIG FAVOR ASAP!

1. "there isn't a lot of evidence from the portfolio that you can draw a "classic" nose, or hand, or ears, or even a human nude."

I can and have, but it's not up at the DA site. It'll be up this weekend though. And I can echo the concern, because I've been there and done that - I used to use cartonny and magna-ish noses to take shortcuts around things I wasn't in practice (or interested) in drawing. These days, however, I've learned to see and appreciate foundational work and drawing people to look like people. Yet when left to my own discretion in style, what you've seen is what I tend to gravitate towards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. Okay. I wasn't saying whether you can or can't, I was just trying to give my overall opinion of the portfolio. What is this portfolio review for? -and, what pieces are you presenting (assuming it's not all of them).

3. Loved Nightlights ... can I use that as my sig? Also, I like the Mermaid series. The two pics are awesome. SchoolmMachine is nice ... I see where your goijng with the colors. I know its looks like a muddied down color palette. But it also has that postcard, hallmark farside-ish card look. I have no problem with it at all. The color's give it character, unlike so many other pieces that try and give character via the people, places, etc in it. The problem is with those peeps, they can't even convey that. This guy at least can do both ... very rare!

BUT ...

Deviant art is so slow and I have cable 'net.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. Quote Originally Posted by FuryFox
    Okay. I wasn't saying whether you can or can't, I was just trying to give my overall opinion of the portfolio. What is this portfolio review for? -and, what pieces are you presenting (assuming it's not all of them).
    To get into the illustration program proper so I can get a BFA instead of a BA.

oh, and I just added two life drawings I'll be using. Also gonna put a third up after work!

5. The life drawings are still pretty cartoony, go for as realistic as you can.

6. I can see that in the second, but what about the first? Is it stylistically cartoony, or is it from the lack of shade and emphasis on line?

7. Can't have outlines like that for a life drawing, plenty of instructors have yelled at me about that one. The face looks completely manga style too.

8. I agree with Kaneda. The face is more realistic than your usual stuff, but it still is a pretty comic-y style.

9. How much did you work on these, generally? Some of these don't seem to me to have much depth and don't look like much more than doodles. Not that doing things quickly is bad, like figure drawings.They were probably just class exercises for a period or part of, right? That's cool. Those do still look cartoony, though, even the guy. Like you were looking at the figures for a reference for placement, but didn't draw what you were looking at. A good figure drawing conveys the masses placed before you, i think, and that can be done without shade. But if you're using just contour lines you're missing out, get expressive and almost haphazard with them! School Machine, Nightlights and the oil self-portrait look good. Overall I think you haven't shown us much variety. I want some still lifes! heh

Now to not criticize, I think you got some cool stuff up there, even in all those older doodles. Really like the forms on the second in the Girl series.

10. Thank you guys so much!

The port is due Monday and I've been hitting up professors here to look at my work and offer up feedback as well. I'm gonna try to put my finalized portfolio online (DA or maybe through the school server) so you can see where I went with everything. As it is, there are some very nice reccomendations that have been made and while I won't be able to apply all of them in time, I'd like to make this portfolio an evolving process, updating and swapping works as I go on.

Again, thank you so much! Out of all the forums I posted to, you guys have given the most informative feedback.