Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006- more bad news for the industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    There may not be a crash, but the $60 pricing won't do the industry any favors if they try to make it stick for the too long into the gen. The market will support it during launch, but outside of that window it'll probably do more harm than good.
    I think what you are going to see is a $60 launch price for games followed by quicker initial price drop for most games. I'm willing to pay $50, $60, or $100 for the best of the best. It's the second tier stuff that I won't touch for full price. I fully expect to see most 360 games at $40 within 4-6 months of release once things get rolling because people will be more selective about which games warrant $60.

2. The website is blocked from where I'm at but I do have a question.

That majority of games released these days turn into losses and companies are already starting to go under. Only big companies like EA or Nintndo have the luxury of letting games boom financially over and over and still post a profit at the end of the year. What's going to happen when next-gen fully kicks in and expenses for games go up again?

Is there a big enough fanbase for console games to stand on when expenses skyrocket in the industry. How will small companies stay profitable in the console market if that's even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    How will small companies stay profitable in the console market if that's even possible.
    They'll be backed or purchased by larger companies.

4. Making Xbox Live Arcade games.

5. They could release a "special edition" of the game first for $80, then two weeks later release the regular run for $50. How many copies of GTA:SA Limited Edition would have sold at $80? There are enough gamers who can't wait the two weeks, they could get it.
    No gnus is good gnus.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    They'll be backed or purchased by larger companies.
    So the industry is heading towards inevitable corporization with a few huge companies.

Depressings.

7. Quote Originally Posted by avatar
    So the industry is heading towards inevitable corporization with a few huge companies.

Depressings.
    Its been like that for about 7 years.

Noob.

8. It was still possible for a small company to survive though. They won't be living like gangbusters but the chance was still there.

Now it looks like their will be 10 or so publishers total in a gen or 2.