Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft armor/weapon designs

1. World of Warcraft armor/weapon designs

My submission to Blizzard for their concept artist job is almost done, but I wanted a few more Blizzard-specific things (something they said can make a big difference at BlizzCon). I decided to design some "upper-level" stuff, since anyone can draw a normal sword or axe. I also tried to design things that would fit in but be pretty different from what's available in the game now. Granted, this is just through observation. After drawing the dragon sword, I later saw weapon in the game pretty similar (with the blade coming out the mouth)...somewhat avoidable, I guess. It's not like stuff of theirs or mine hasn't already been done already in a thousand other fantasy settings.

I did a male and female version of new Warrior armor. I realize Blizzard only tends to change the chestpiece on females, but I figure there's room for improvement. The other fellow is a Warlock, and the winged gal a Priest.

Still need to color these, but thought I'd see what ya'll think first.

Update: Here's the colored armors

Male Warrior
    Female Warrior
    Male Warlock
    Female Priest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male-warrior.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	18753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female-warrior.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	18754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male-warlock.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	18755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female-priest.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	18756  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-swords.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	18757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-maces.jpg 
Views:	2475 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	18758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-bows.jpg 
Views:	984 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	18759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-spears.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	18760  

Last edited by FuryFox; 23 Mar 2006 at 07:05 PM.

2. I think the male/female armor is too busy. So many elements pushing out for my attention that none of them actually quite get it. I like the warlock much more. A simpler design, and the wing really stands out nicely. The priest is nice looking too, as tends to be the case when pretty girls are given wings.

I like the integration of creature parts in the design on the weapons. The dragon like head on the axe, as well as the sword. I think the head on the bottom of the sword with the hilt that is designed like a woman's body should be removed though. It is too goofy maybe.

Keep in mind that I'm not at all familiar with blizzard and what sort of designs they tend to use.

also: good luck with the submission -

I actually really like the head on that sword Rezo mentioned. In fact, I think that may be my favourite weapon. In game though I think the head on the bottom won't look too good.

Other than that I really agree with Rezo. The warrior armor is just too confusing to look at. A couple of your bows look super awkward to wield as well, the handholds. The maces and other weapons look boss though.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Rezo, yeah, that's the kind of thing Blizzard uses. Fury has done an excellent job of emulating Blizzard design, as gaudy as the armor designs (especially shoulder armor) tend to be. Although that warrior armor design probably has more going on in it than any of the ones I've seen in game. The boots that look like demon's feet are really good, and I could see them using that. Same thing with the winged shoulders for the priest.

That amber mace is freaking genius. I could totally see a Tauren with that. I'd like to see more creative stuff like that with a flair from different races. Most of your stuff there is classic blizzard horde or night elf styled. You may wish to include some gnome/goblin and troll-like designs (maybe even some qiraji) to show you have a diverse range.

As far as your bows go, what Rumpy and Cow says may be very important as I believe (not sure though) that all the races hold their bows by the very middle, so you'd want to design around that. As it stands, those designs wouldn't work.

If you can show the guys at Blizz you aren't only designing, but designing with the restrictions of the game already in mind and working around that, you'd have a step above the guys who don't.
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 09 Mar 2006 at 03:28 PM.

5. I really hope you get the position Fury, you really deserve it. I love the third sword design and while the bows don't look very practical to hold (though it is for a game so it may not matter that much), they look awesome too. I agree with the the character assesments from the two professional posters above me.

6. I think they're crazy if they dont give you a spot designing weapons.

7. I really love the dismembered orc fist as a mace, it's awesome. I don't much like the armor designs that much, but the helmets alone by themselves seem kind of cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. I like the weapons a whole lot. And the priest armor. Has anyone ever told you that you have nice lines? Because you do.

I too have no idea what Blizzard likes, and this isn't my area. In this case, however, i really enjoy the work. Good luck.
    Donk

9. Finally got around to coloring some the armors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male-warrior.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	18931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female-warrior.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	18932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male-warlock.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	18933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female-priest.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	18934  

10. That last one of the chick looks like she belongs in Phantasy Star Online. I like how the first one came out best.