Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Civil War - Hosted by Korly

1. Nah, but it was most recent.

And, an AWESOME movie, to boot.

2. I'm not big into comics, but I would be down to follow this 7 part piece.

Sounds like we might finally get to see if Spider Man can kick wolverine's ass. The answer is of course he can.

3. That's what the video game "Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects" is for!

[disclaimer]that game actually blows[/disclaimer]

4. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers
    I'd rather pay for comics than read Robobo for free.
    I guess I struck a chord by calling one of your past times childish and hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo
    I'll pick up stuff used or in graphic novel form on occasion, that's about it.
    Hellboy graphic novels are entertaining enough for me to look at them. But this artform hasn't matured much in over 50 years past the art.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    But this artform hasn't matured much in over 50 years past the art.
    Uh oh, can of worms....

I'll just throw out a "LOL" and leave it at that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew

Hellboy graphic novels are entertaining enough for me to look at them. But this artform hasn't matured much in over 50 years past the art.
    LOL, the world of comic books and graphic novels is vast and wide and you obviously have little concept of it. Now, I am not a comic book guys, but I do occasionally check them out as part of my appreciation for literature. Thats right, comic books have evolved to the point of being considered literature, which is why some people like to call them graphic novels (to remove comic book stigma). The ideas and narrative styles have grown progressively complex and experimental both in the mainstream and underground comics. There has been some great things done with comics since the 80s and the only excuse for not appreciating the artform is ignorance.
    your mom

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mman
    LOL, the world of comic books and graphic novels is vast and wide and you obviously have little concept of it. Now, I am not a comic book guys, but I do occasionally check them out as part of my appreciation for literature. Thats right, comic books have evolved to the point of being considered literature, which is why some people like to call them graphic novels (to remove comic book stigma). The ideas and narrative styles have grown progressively complex and experimental both in the mainstream and underground comics. There has been some great things done with comics since the 80s and the only excuse for not appreciating the artform is ignorance.
    He's not a jerk. He just doesn't know.

8. Anyone not into comics, should check out some of these

Marvel Zombies
    Walking Dead
    Fables
    Y The Last Man
    Goon

Anything by Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Robert Kirkman = instant addiction

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    What does it matter? In a year or so, everyone will be right back where they started. These "big events" with "far-reaching implications" are such a crock, every superhero goes through them every year and the biggest thing that happens is every once in a while someone dies. And that never sticks for long, either.
    IAWTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo
    Bacon and Jet are both spot on.

I used to manage a comic book store and it was a great job, because I got to read everything. The prices on comics now are just crazy, there is no way they are worth the value (for me personally).

I'll pick up stuff used or in graphic novel form on occasion, that's about it.
    And this post, too.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    What does it matter? In a year or so, everyone will be right back where they started. These "big events" with "far-reaching implications" are such a crock, every superhero goes through them every year and the biggest thing that happens is every once in a while someone dies. And that never sticks for long, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    As I said, while you probabaly missed a lot of things that may have seemed important at the time, most of those events have likely negated themselves and things are about the same as when you left.

The big superhero comics are fine in essence, but there's one important thing you have to keep in mind: They're designed to never end. Most conflicts will never be resolved, and a given character will only have any signifigant development once every ~10 years. Never take them too seriously, because before you know it, you can spend a lot of money and have no real payoff to show for it. Especially if you fall into the snare of these crossovers that make you buy 20 books a month to keep up with.
    You bring up good points regarding the vicious neverending cycle of stories and cross overs. The beauty about it though, is that you can pick and choose where you want to end a particular run and stop there. If you want to know more, then continue with other books or trades. Nowadays it's relatively simple to keep up with comics barring the wait time for the trades and the fact that TPB books have been becoming alot more popular and successful as a business model for Marvel and DC.

Case in point Grant Morrison's New X-Men. It had a beginning, a middle and an end. Alot of Morrison fans just left the title after it ended and took it's ending as is, which is fine. You could also read the trades/hardcovers and enjoy them on their own merits, I used to go to the library and read a ton of DC trade paperbacks and I loved it since I pretty much enjoyed them for free and had the whole story in front of me.

House of M also has a beginning, middle and end the way Bendis does the narrative and can be enjoyed on it's own. The trade paperbacks out collect pretty much all the involved crossover books with the additional supplemental material (like a cool HoM fake newspaper).

Civil War is a great jumping on point. Mark Millar (who writes the more politically driven Ultimates) is writing this and seeing as how he's great with political stuff and superheroes it fits him like a tee. It's 7 issues with some good crossover goodness, If you can enjoy stuff like Secret Wars and the Phoenix Saga I think you can enjoy Civil War.

Here's the particular forum for the event that has Tom Brevoort (major Marvel editor) answering your questions and so on: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...splay.php?f=58
    Last edited by Will; 10 Mar 2006 at 04:15 PM.